Sunday, June 16

Continuing Studies program brings Civil War to life at Lilly Library

The group crowding the Lincoln Room of the Lilly Library wasn't typical, to say the least. \nThe class was small, perhaps 10 people at the most, and the atmosphere relaxed and informal. Some students scrawled furiously on legal pads, while others jotted random notes and phrases on tattered napkins. A few peered at the lecturer over half-rimmed bifocals, while others still toted folding canes -- not exactly the sort of fare you'd expect to find in an IU lecture hall. \nYet they all focused their gaze upon the woman standing before them, faces fixed at rapt attention. For two hours on a lazy Saturday afternoon, they abandoned responsibilities of work, of children, of commitment, to gather at the Lilly Library to share a mutual interest of Civil War history.\nTaught by public historian Cinda May, Saturday's lecture, entitled "Never Shall I Forget the Scenes I Witnessed There: Echoes of Civil War History," is one of a series of short-term non-credit courses periodically offered by the School of Continuing Studies. Open to all adults, regardless of educational background, the courses are informally structured and allow interested adults access to renowned historians, professors and experts for a nominal fee. Subject matter spans from early Victorian literature to "Singing for Amateurs," and various trips to historic sites are offered as well. \nAccording to Ron White, director of the Bloomington Division of Continuing Studies, the program will be implementing many new noncredit courses during the fall semester. Stemming from a desire to better serve community interest, such courses will often coincide with various community events. Examples include a course on world music conducted in conjunction with the Lotus Music Festival and a course on the art collections of Herman B Wells. \nCourses in e-commerce, management skills, computer science and the architectural history of Bloomington have also been proposed for the fall semester. The sessions will be held at various locations throughout the community to be announced later in the summer. Interested individuals may direct questions concerning courses, fees and registration to the School of Continuing Studies at 855-5108.\nSaturday's course allowed participants to explore the Civil War in a local context. May, formerly Assistant Head of Public Services at the Lilly Library, focuses her research on the anti-slavery movement in Indiana and Ohio and utilized the writings of soldiers, physicians and ranking officials in various volunteer regiments throughout Indiana to present a multi-faceted view of camp life, warfare, politics and popular culture. Saturday's class was the second Continuing Studies course she has taught on the subject of Civil War history. \n"One of my favorite things has always been using artifacts to engage people in history and learning," May claimed. "I think history is much more real if people can actually see a piece and not just read or hear about it."\nAmong the artifacts presented to achieve that end were the lifemask and sculpted hands of Abraham Lincoln, created during his presidential campaign in 1860. Cast in a rich bronze, the pieces accentuated May's discussion of the struggle at Antietam. They accompanied the presentation of a list of prisoners accused of desertion at that battle, as well as programs from the dedication ceremony at Gettysburg. \nThe class also featured items from the Lilly Library's collections, including Robert E. Lee's General Order No. 9, which ordered the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, the diaries and letters of Indiana soldiers, maps, photographs, music and prints. \nParticipant Carol Banach has taken Continuing Studies courses in the past and deemed Saturday's presentation "particularly interesting." A self-proclaimed Civil War buff, Banach lauded the ability of the Continuing Studies program to present in-depth examination on a variety of subjects and noted she plans on taking similar courses in the future. \nMay said she was pleased with Saturday's turnout, noting smaller classes offer opportunities for more careful study of artifacts and documents. \n"Small groups are great," May said. "They're less formal and we can see things more closely. In a larger class, it's more difficult to actually present what the Lilly has to offer"