The Academy has some explaining to do

Someone please explain to me how it is that "Gladiator" walked away proudly with the most highly recognized if not most publicized award in the film industry? Unlike the Academy (it appears), I watched some of the other films that were nominated for Best Picture -- and I promise "Gladiator"'s win was a mistake. \nThe film (if it can really be called that) was completely lacking in substance, however unimportant substance might be to Hollywood these days. Aside from the deliciously juvenile performance of the volatile and often overlooked Joaquin Phoenix, the film had no real heart or appeal other than the ridiculous computerized Coliseum, and the broody Russell Crowe, whose broodiness apparently wasn't conjured but very real and irritating.\nIt turned out simply to be an agonizingly long-winded bloodbath with a terribly cliched storyline. I could go on to say that this sham of a movie stole the Oscar from Ang Lee's breathtaking "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon," but how could I forget Cameron Crowe's "Almost Famous?" Giving a modest acceptance speech for Best Writing (Original), Crowe summed his film up by declaring it a love letter to the music industry. He couldn't have put it more beautifully. \n"Almost Famous" is a real film, touching and amusing, soulful, sensitive and honest. The experience of this film leaves the viewer with the intangible feeling of being kissed for the first time. Even the opening credit sequence -- a close-up of a pencil scratching down the names of the cast members on a legal pad -- has more creativity than the entirety of "Gladiator." \nThrough his sensitivity, kindness and innocence, William, the protagonist, shows more heroism than any gladiator could begin to personify. It leaves one to wonder if society will ever find out what is really important. I think it's time that the film industry is placed into the hands of the real filmmakers instead of computer wizards and pyrotechnicians. I say shame on the academy for losing sight of what filmmaking is about.