Michigan repeats championship, IU finishes 7th

While Michigan spent this weekend dominating the Big Ten crew championship to win its second consecutive title, IU staggered to a seventh-place finish. \nInjuries held down the Hoosiers. \nIU raced only four boats and scored with three to finish two points behind sixth-place finisher, Minnesota in the seven-team event.\nThe team scored 16 points. Michigan finished with 56, and Ohio State tallied 43 to finish second. \nHad injuries not hampered the Hoosiers, they might have been able to race in the first novice eight boat competition. Minnesota finished second in the event to grab four points and top IU. \nIU's first varsity eight contributed 12 of the team's points, finishing second in the petite final and sixth overall. The Hoosiers outrowed the Minnesota boat, which finished third in the heat.\nIn the second varsity eight, IU finished third in the petite final and seventh overall for two points. The first varsity four also raced in the petite final, finishing second (sixth overall) for two points.\n"I'm very proud of the girls," coach Mark Wilson said. "It's a little disappointing when you can't put out as many boats as we would have liked to, but they responded well, especially considering there were so many line-up changes between the beginning of the week and race time. They continue to learn and that shows on the water"