Hoosiers fall to RedHawks

Miami coaching staff includes former IU assistants

Wednesday, the baseball team traveled to Oxford, Ohio for a reunion of sorts for with the Miami coaching staff. The RedHawks staff features two former IU assistants, Tracy Smith, who serves as the manager, and Scott Googins, an assistant for Miami. With that IU flavor, the Hawks beat the Hoosiers 5-1.\nSmith and his troops jumped out to a 2-0 advantage in the bottom of the first. Miami added another in the third following a stolen base by Clark Mace and a pair of IU errors. In his first start of the season, Aaron Johnson settled down after allowing three hits in the first two innings for Miami.\nJunior Gibran Hamdan took a Johnson pitch in the top of the fifth deep to left field for his second home run of the 2001 season, trimming the deficit to 3-1. But Hamdan's homer was all the offense the slumping Hoosiers could muster.\nIn the sixth, the Hoosiers mounted a two-out rally to load the bases, only to see it end as RedHawk first baseman Brady Nori snagged a foul ball off the bat of Hamdan. Miami responded with a run in the sixth and seventh putting the RedHawks ahead en route to the 5-1 victory.\nWith the loss, IU fell to 19-21-1 overall on the season and starting junior pitcher Zach Otte dropped to 2-2.