Former Theta Chi team sits 11th

For the teams in Row 4, the road to the Little 500 race has been a bumpy one. But the only thing that has persevered is the confidence the teams have in themselves.\nTeter (2:38.60)\nFive years ago, there was no team that represented Teter. Now, a short while after being established, the team finds itself starting in the top 10.\n"Our first two years, we were bottom dwellers," junior David Eaton said. "Last year, we did really well. We went from the bottom to the middle of the field, and this year we are in the 10th place. It's been a slow progression of improvement, but I am really excited about it."\nIn addition to having the best position in the history of the team, Teter also has the most depth. Eaton, a third-year rider, is joined by three experienced teammates.\nThis is the fourth race senior Chris Welt has ridden in. He is joined by junior Mike Choinacky, who is a third-year rider and junior Mikael Greenawald, who is in his second year with the team.\nDespite a high finish in qualifications, Teter is not taking anything for granted.\n"There is 33 teams in the race, and the question is how many you are better than," Eaton said. "It's insignificant to make predictions, because you are probably going to be proven wrong."\nGalveston (2:39.16)\nEven before the race has begun, Galveston has had to overcome change and adversity.\nThe first change came when Galveston had to have a name change. Formerly Theta Chi, the name changed when the fraternity's charter was revoked.\n"We are all members of Theta Chi," junior Mike Wall said. "But when everything happened, we were no longer Theta Chi. We became an independent team."\nGalveston features a group of three rookie riders; a non-factor, Wall said.\n"With three rookies, you're always up for a challenge," Wall said. "But with the way the race is, anything can happen. We're just hoping to be in there at the end." \nWall is the only rider with any experience riding in the Little 500.\nHe is joined by first-year riders and juniors Ryan O'Rourke, Matt Bajore and Rob Wermuth.\n"I'm pretty excited for the race, but there's a lot of work to be done," Wall said. "Right now, I'm excited because our attitudes are good. If the race was tomorrow, I don't think we'd be ready, because we need a little bit more work. But we're on our way."\nBeta Theta Pi (2:39.76)\nBeta Theta Pi has two ways of preparing for the Little 500 race: the traditional and the not-so-traditional.\nIn addition to going to the track daily, the team of three veterans and one rookie also seek out other methods of preparation.\n"We go to clubs and dance," junior Mike Ruben said. "It's a really good source of cardiovascular fitness."\nRuben is a second-year rider, along with senior Kyle Klepsch and senior Peter Crowe. The lone rookie is junior John Grant.\nBeta Theta Pi stayed in Bloomington to train over spring break, but took one weekend to ride down to Grant's home in Louisville.\n "It's a little over a hundred miles or so," Grant said. "It took us about seven hours. We spent the weekend there and then came back."\nGrant said the team is happy with its qualifying time.\n"We're shooting for a top-10 finish," Rubin said. "We're thinking we'll be able to do a little better if things go our way. But we have to make sure we have strong exchanges and good breakouts"