Chi Phi eager to race after 2000 suspension

In the men's Row 3, Chi Phi looks for redemption after not being allowed to race last year. Dodds returns half of its 10th-place team, and Cinzano plans to take advantage of its cycling and mountain biking skills.\nChi Phi (2:37.40)\nGraduate student John Emmetsberger and his teammates have trained for two years without a race. They want more than a sportsmanship award this year. They want to return Chi Phi to prominence in the men's race.\nThe riders weren't allowed to race last year because of an alcohol violation at Chi Phi the night before the men's race. All but one rider returns from the 2000 team, which qualified ninth. Instead of pursuing a graduate program overseas, Emmetsberger, Chi Phi's top rider, has chosen to remain in Bloomington for his fourth and final race.\n"We have three returning from last year," Emmetsberger said. "We've all been through what happened. It builds a strong team."\nChi Phi is also a shaky team. Although the team returns two veterans, including captain and senior Kevin Gfell and junior Rick Darlington and rookie Nick Grove, a senior, the team hasn't fared well in series events.\nNeither Emmetsberger nor Gfell advanced beyond the first round of Miss-N-Out, and Emmestberger finished sixth at Individual Time Trials, nine seconds slower than his third-place finish last year.\nStill, Gfell said he thinks the team can work from its tenacity and experience. Chi Phi finished third in 1999.\n"We are very confident we can finish near the top," Gfell said. "We're aiming to win it. That's our goal. That's what we're training for."\nCinzano (2:37.85)\nCinzano is a hodgepodge of former athletes, veteran mountain bike riders and cyclists. Being mountain riders help, the Cinzano team said.\n"It increases your bike handling skills," senior Jason Losey said. "You never know when you could be caught in a wreck so you could maneuver over people, bunny hop people, jump over people."\nFour Cinzano riders are seniors and two are juniors, with Chris McIntyre the only rookie. Senior Nick Lasure and Losey have ridden in three races. Senior Tom Stark, senior Brian Walton and junior Jon Kloppenburg could make the final lineup.\n"Our lineup hasn't been decided yet," Losey said. "It's a good rivalry because we really have to compete within a team for a spot and make each other better."\nDodds House (2:38.30)\nWhen senior Tom Moore first walked into the lobby of Dodds House in Wright Quad, the plaques and trophies of the men who had guided Dodds to top-10 performances in the last seven years amazed him. \n"The tradition sets us apart," Moore said. "There's a huge tradition in the house in finding riders." \nMoore and junior Justin Alexander return as second-year riders from a team that qualified second last year but finished 10th in the men's race. Freshman Dan McGregor and senior Charlie Metzger are rookies.\n"Our goal is to win the race," Metzger said. "We know we might not have the strongest riders, but we can stay with the pack until the end"