Burn's fiery personality leads Sigma Alpha Epsilon

Junior demands quality from teammates as the only returner on team

Sigma Alpha Epsilon junior Dan Burns arrived at his team's pit on the north side of Bill Armstrong Stadium after completing a 10-lap set during afternoon practice last week.\nBurns, who rarely appears tired, yelled at two of his teammates, junior Ryan McBee and senior Will Fife, instead of taking a quick rest.\n"Where's my water?" Burns shouted as he flipped over an empty white bottle. He directed his comments at McBee and Fife, who looked dumfounded because they are responsible for refilling the water bottle of the team's star rider. \nA rider two pits away noticed the scene being made over a water bottle, and he offered Burns a drink. Burns took a few squirts and quickly cooled down. His hostile feelings toward his teammates quickly disappeared.\nIf you don't know Burns, his behavior might seem disturbing. But those who know him, especially his teammates, said tirades like the water bottle incident provide glimpses into his competitive nature.\n"He's got an intensity about him," Fife said. "A lot of people interpret that in different ways, like he's being a jerk. I would rather be on a team with someone that is passionate about being out here than someone who is lackadaisical."\nBecause Sigma Alpha Epsilon is one of the most inexperienced teams in the men's field, Burns is forced to push his teammates more than most of the other top riders.\n"It's hard," McBee said of being on a team with Burns. "He expects you to do what he can do. It can get frustrating when you don't live up to his expectations."\nBurns is the lone returning rider from a Sigma Alpha Epsilon team that finished fourth in last year's Little 500. The team doesn't have a coach, so Burns' leadership and race experience are critical. \nUnlike 2000, when Sigma Alpha Epsilon was a favorite to win the Little 500, the team is a darkhorse in 2001, qualifying 18th, in the middle of the pack. \nBurns will start the race for Sigma Alpha Epsilon, and he said catching the leaders in the early stages is important. \n"We're starting 18th, so we have to move up as quick as possible," Burns said.\nIf any rider can move his team from the middle of the pack to the front quickly, it's Burns, who has proved to be one of the race's fastest riders. \nHe is one of two riders this year to advance to the finals of Miss-N-Out and record a top-five finish in Individual Time Trials. The other is Phi Delta Theta senior Josh Beatty, who won both events. Burns, along with Beatty and Chi Phi senior John Emmetsberger, are the only three riders to record top- eight finishes in the past two time trials.\nBurns has progressed steadily since his freshman year, and his peers consider him one of the event's top riders. He trained for a month and a half his freshman year, but the rigors of training burned him out. Like many freshmen, Burns spent part of his freshman year partying. Burns started riding seriously after the 1999 race, and he has been heavily involved with the Little 500 since.\n"I've pretty much gone psycho," he said. "This race has pretty much taken over my life. I think it's great. I'm living a clean, healthy lifestyle, and I really like caring about something. It's definitely an obsession."\nBurns didn't get involved in the Little 500 by luck or because of house pressure like some riders. His brother Matt is a former Sigma Alpha Epsilon rider and was one of the top performers in last year's race. Burns credited his brother, who has graduated, with getting him started in racing.\n"I saw that the four guys he rode with were his best friends, and I wanted that," Burns said. "I wanted the competition."\nMatt Burns finished fourth in last year's time trials, defeating his brother by less than a second. Other riders and fans automatically compared Burns to his older brother -- a comparison that never bothered him, he said.\n"He's a good guy," said Burns of his brother. "He's a smart guy and a good role model. If he was a slime ball, then it would be different."\nNow that Matt Burns is gone, Dan Burns is Sigma Alpha Epsilon's leader. McBee, Fife and junior Chris Irk are all rookies, but Burns said the team has a chance of winning if it rides a smart race. \nWinning the Little 500 would mean everything to Burns, he said. Whether it's talking about politics or a bike race, Burns said his goal is to win. He likes the pain and suffering that comes with training for the race, and he has no trouble releasing his emotions. \nWhen he finished his four laps in the time trials last month, he bowed to his Sigma Alpha Epsilon brothers. When his team fouled on its first two attempts during qualifications, he left the track screaming. When things go wrong in practice, he yells at his teammates. Burns said the outlandish actions are centered around one thing -- winning.\n"This is everything I think about," he said. "I got psycho about it, and all I want to do is win. If we won, it would be one of the greatest days in my life up until this point"