Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band

Epic Records

This CD should be called Live in New York City ... twice. Recorded June 29 and July 1, 2000, in Madison Square Garden, these two performances marked the finale of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's world tour, which began in Spain in 1999.\nFans of Springsteen and the E Street Band can view this double CD as an appetizer for Saturday's HBO premiere of "Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band," a compilation of the performances that make up the first disc. The second disc includes six additional performances, including Springsteen's signature song, "Born in the U.S.A." \nBut fans of live albums will find something suspect about the newest offering from the Boss. A good concert album uses the unique energy and personality from an artist pushing him or herself to create an outstanding spectacle. Not only do fans get to hear their favorite songs on one CD instead of several, it's a great way to dream their way into a show they can't attend. A great example is Pearl Jam's official bootlegs. But the Springsteen CD was recorded over two nights, with songs from each performance interspersed throughout the first disc. Worst of all: It's glaringly obvious, which gives the album a sort of start-stop momentum.\nBut the music is top-quality, and it's obvious from the recording that he has great stage presence. Other than classic songs, there were several lesser-known songs. But all have a sound that makes them seem familiar. Two highlights are "Prove it all Night" and "Murder Incorporated." \nAlso included are two previously recorded songs, and each fits the New York City setting perfectly. "Land of Hope and Dreams" is the personification of immigrants for whom the city was the first taste of freedom and hope of a new life. "American Skin (41 Shots)" portrays the dark side of the city and promise of that freedom. The song was written to remember Amadou Diallo, a West African immigrant who was shot 41 times by New York City police officers when they mistook the street peddler for a serial rapist and the wallet he was removing from his pocket for a gun.\nLive in New York City is a good portrait of the city and a pretty good portrait of Springsteen.