Bid to upset Illini busted

Illinois hadn't lost a Big Ten Conference game in more than 50 contests. The last time the Fighting Illini dropped a league game, IU dumped them. \nIU's attempt to put bookends on Illinois' winning streak fell short Friday at the Big Ten tournament, as Illinois (20-5, 11-0 Big Ten) bumped IU (14-8, 6-6) from the field with a 4-2 victory in Madison, Wisc.\n"The team definitely wanted the win, and they fought hard," head coach Ken Hydinger said. "But they just couldn't get it done."\nIU topped No. 9 seed Iowa Thursday to set up the battle with Illinois, the tournament's top seed and defending champion.\nIllinois, ranked ninth in the country, outlasted IU's No. 1 and 3 doubles teams to win the point, but IU's No. 2 duo of seniors Ian Arons and Milan Rakvica drubbed Illinois' Jamal Parker and Phil Stolt 8-2. The victory marked the fifth consecutive triumph for Arons and Rakvica. \nRakvica came back in singles play to topple Illiniois' Graydon Oliver, the nation's No. 24 singles player, 6-4, 6-0. Rakvica beat Oliver in straight sets for the second time in as many tries this season at the No. 1 slot. \nAt No. 3 singles, junior Rahman Smiley picked up the only other Hoosier victory. Smiley upended Stolt 6-3, 6-3 to improve to 10-2 in conference play, making him one of just 11 Hoosiers to ever win 10 or more Big Ten singles matches in a season. \n Illinois won the No. 2, 5 and 6 singles matches in straight sets, and the No. 4 contest between senior Paul Jacobson and Illinois' Mike Kosta was suspended. \nIU will now await possible selection into the NCAA Tournament. The selections will be announced Thursday.