Way of the Gun

Shooting stars

This movie is quite timely because of one reason: Benicio Del Toro. In 2001 he has starred in three great films, "Traffic," "Snatch" and "The Pledge." This film showcases Del Toro's talent as a smoldering screen actor. His charisma and charm are characteristic of legendary film stars like Paul Newman and Steve McQueen, and he even resembles Brad Pitt. \n"The Way of the Gun" is a small gritty film that follows two vagrants (Del Toro and Ryan Phillipe) as they try to get by on donating blood and sperm while committing petty crimes. While in a sperm bank, they overhear a conversation about a rich but corrupt man who has paid a young woman, Robin, (Juliette Lewis) to carry his child. Apparently his new trophy wife, Francesca (Kristin Lehman), will not carry a child for her husband. In a strikingly violent scene, Del Toro and Phillipe kidnap the woman, shoot at her bodyguards and hold her and her unborn child hostage to collect from Mr. Chidek. \nThe kidnappers take Lewis to a motel and wait for her doctor, also Mr. Chidek's son, to induce labor and bring them $15 million. But trouble ensues when James Caan, as Mr. Chidek's fixer, comes to the motel to cut a deal. There is a great scene with Caan giving life and work advice to Del Toro, telling him to get out of the business.\nThis film is entertaining because the cast is great, and many subplots wait to explode. Although gritty crime films are common, the kidnapping of a pregnant surrogate mother is a new angle that is incorporated into the plot smoothly. The dynamic between Del Toro, Phillipe and Lewis works, and Lewis is great as a seemingly innocent woman caught up in a grand mess. \nBut this is an ode to Del Toro, who is finally appreciated in big films that still have an independent edge by "The Way of the Gun." Keep your eyes on him because he is sure to be the next biggest thing. And even if the golden statuette eludes him on March 25 for his work in "Traffic," we can all be certain he is going to be around for a while.