Team to head outdoors

Hoosiers splitting for 2 upcoming meets as they transition to new season

As spring nears, the men's track team begins the exciting change of atmosphere. \nThe indoor season was successful, but most of the Hoosiers are excited to be outdoors again. \n"I like the outdoor track scene better, because it is an all-around nicer environment, and it seems like the competition is better outdoors," sophomore long jumper Hasaan Reddick said. "Though you have tail wind and head wind at times outdoors, I still like it better."\nReddick finished second in the long jump at the Big Ten indoor championships after competing in only two events all season. Reddick was plagued by mononucleosis for the majority of the 2001 indoor season but now looks forward to the challenges of the Big Ten outdoors campaign. He enters this season healthy and refreshed. \n"Now that I have regained the strength which I lost over the winter, I am looking to do a lot better," Reddick said.\nNot all of the Hoosiers are as thrilled about making the switch to the outdoor season as Reddick. Sophomore middle distance runner Ryan Huber said he feels the need to implement some changes when making the switch from the indoor environment. \n"The workouts remain similar," Huber said. "The biggest change running-wise is getting used to the straightaways -- they change from 50 to 100 meters. When you first get outdoors, you find your upper body and legs keep wanting to turn."\nReddick and Huber have set high goals for themselves and the team this season. \n"I would like to win Big Tens and make the NCAA tournament," Huber said. \nThe team will split up this weekend. Reddick and Huber will travel to Florida for the Florida relays in Gainesville. They say they are excited at the chance to compete against top-notch competition, most of which they have never seen. \n "It'll be nice to see what is out there, the best the NCAA has to offer," Reddick said. \n This will be Reddick's first year competing in the Florida Relays. The High Point, N.C., native did not post numbers good enough to travel to the relays last spring. \n "Coach (Marshall) Goss has told us the competition is extremely good at the Florida relays," Huber said. "Last week, I didn't make provisionals, so I would like to use the competition to help me win my heat and make provisionals."\nOther members of the track team not attending the Florida relays will travel across the state to West Lafayette to compete in the Purdue Open today and Saturday.\nAlthough the competition might not be the same caliber as the Florida relays, Goss said the meet is still important. \n"I'm looking to both meets with equal importance," Goss said. "We are working hard right now and will continue working hard at it. We are always looking to improve"