Sunday, June 16

XFL continues to excite fans as ratings drop

I like the XFL. I don't think this means that I have a moral dilemma. Whether I am out on a Wednesday night at the Bluebird or just sitting around my house, some people think the XFL is not going to last. I decided to do some scientific research of my own.\nSenior Jon Kabrud said, "I don't feel the XFL has lived up to its preseason expectations. However, I do appreciate the cheerleaders' busts."\nThere you have it, my friends. Sex sells. Like it or not the cheerleaders of the XFL bring ratings. Are these women more raunchy than the women of the NFL? While I haven't dated any of them yet, I would have to say commercials are to blame for the perception. The outfits they wear are more revealing than the bikinis the women wear on FOX's "Temptation Island." By the way, the people who think the XFL is too worried about selling sex are the same people who are taping "Temptation Island," where the point is to break up people in serious relationships.\nFurthering my in-depth research, I asked senior Angelo Grecco what he thought. \n"I like the fact that after college and the NFL I can still watch football," he said. "But I would like to see it get a little more rough and dirty." \nWith cameras in the players' helmets and in-your-face interviews, I don't know how it could get any rougher. I have seen some hard hits, and people getting knocked over.\nWhile ratings have dropped drastically since the first week, the XFL still has more viewers than the NHL All-Star game, and the NBA on NBC. So for those of you who don't think it's a sport, just remember it's beating one of your favorites.\n Some people even like to knock the talent the XFL offers. Well, it's week four of the season now, and teams have continually improved. While I would say there are few players of NFL caliber, these guys could play on any Division-I team in the nation.\nThe players are what's left over from the cream of the crop. How do I know? I applied online this summer for an XFL tryout. Apparently they were not looking for a 5-foot-9, 200 pound, out-of-shape, high school defensive end.\nAnd while I did make my impact for the Munster Mustangs, I do not believe my talent would carry me very far in the XFL.\nI will get the chance to see an up close and personal view this weekend as I travel to Chicago to watch the Enforcers take on the New York/New Jersey Hitmen. Both teams will be vying for their first victory in the new league.\nRight now, the XFL is still here. After three weeks, the league has yet to fold. Don't expect it to any time soon -- I need to hold onto my column.