Wanted: full-time head coach

Some of the premier coaches in America are being considered as candidates to become the next head man of the Hoosiers.\nThere are long shots, dark horses and favorites among them, but all have been mentioned at one time or another as possible successors to interim head coach Mike Davis.\nWhile the experts spread rumors and look for answers, I have neatly compiled a short list of seven names who could coach IU next season:\n• Mike Davis -- The logical choice. The players have bought into Davis' coaching philosophy, which has given the team some stability this season. Not only that, but every player on the roster will return next season. If Davis is not brought back, IU will have it's third coach in three years, not exactly the way to take a program to the next level. \n• Rick Pitino -- An unlikely choice for IU because of his high salary demand. If there is a coach made for college basketball, it's Pitino. He can recruit. He can teach. He can win. But he won't be doing it at IU. The administration does not want another coach who will be bigger than the program. Pitino's reputation will land him at a high profile school, probably UNLV, but not IU.\n• Tim Floyd -- Several years ago while at Iowa State, Floyd was thought to be among the up-and-coming coaches in college basketball. Then he went to the Bulls and has languished in the cellar of the NBA. Floyd could bolt from pro game to college if the situation was right. \n• Rick Majerus -- The University of Utah coach is taking the rest of this season off following health problems and family issues. His reputation is unmatched, his coaching style is winning, and he wears red sweaters. But, he is still under contract to Utah. IU would have to buy out Majerus' current contract, in addition to paying a hefty salary. Again, not likely.\n• Randy Wittman -- The only former IU player and alumnus on the list would only be available should he be fired from his current position as head coach of the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers. The Cavaliers have lost 22 of their last 27 games and Wittman might be let go after the season. According to a Chicago Tribune report, Wittman "has long been coveted by the university and would be a perfect fit..." \n• Larry Eustachy -- The current Iowa State coach is the hottest candidate on the list. Eustachy would become the favorite should Tom Jurich, the Athletic Director at the University of Louisville, become the next athletics director at Indiana. Jurich is the front-runner to replace Clarence Doninger and is close friends with the Cyclones' coach. The administration has already said the new athletic director will have a hand in choosing the coach. Eustachy has had a successful coaching career and has led Iowa State, 22-3, to a No. 6 national ranking this season.\n• Bob Knight -- Maybe it's just sentiment, but Knight will always be remembered as IU's head coach. Why not bring him back? He doesn't have a job, but has repeatedly said he wants to coach again. He recruited every one of IU's players and with a new athletics director being brought in, the animosity Knight had with Doninger would no longer exist. \nWhoever coaches IU next season will almost certainly be a success, as the Hoosiers will return a National Player of the Year candidate in Kirk Haston and a super sophomore in Jared Jeffries. The new coach will have the entire off-season to prepare for the schedule, something Davis did not have the luxury to do this season because of Knight's firing.\nI can see two scenarios on the horizon:\nThe first involves Jurich. If he gets the athletics director position, the job will go to Eustachy.\nIf someone else is the new athletics director, Davis will be retained. \nThere are plenty of coaches with solid resumes who would flourish as IU's head basketball coach. The only question is, which one do you choose?