Transfer to don Hoosier jersey

After not being able to score against the Hoosiers earlier in the season, sophomore midfielder Kara Bryan will now try to score for the Hoosiers in the 2001 season. Bryan transferred to IU after spending two seasons with Butler.\nBryan transferred after the fall semester and is attending classes in Bloomington. She plans to sign a scholarship to play for coach Joe Kelley's Hoosiers Wednesday, the first day of the signing period.\nBryan, from Carmel, Ind., was the Midwestern Collegiate Conference Freshman of the Year in 1999 and was named Co-player of the Year last season for the Bulldogs after finishing the 2000 campaign second in the league in points, with 23. \n"I knew that I wanted to play at a bigger school and at a higher level, but still stay close to home," Bryan said. "Joe (Kelley) really made it hard for me not to come here."\nThe Hoosiers, who didn't make the 2000 Big Ten tournament, are looking for Bryan to improve an offense that was shut out in half of their games. Bryan tallied nine goals and five assists last season for the Bulldogs, more than any IU player last season.\n"She is going to give our offense a big boost," junior midfielder Stacey Peterson said. "She is a high-caliber player and will compliment (the team) well."\nBryan agrees, but said a sense of nervousness comes with those factors.\n"The expectations that (Kelley) and my parents have put on me do have me somewhat nervous," she said.\nWith Bryan's transfer comes an added excitement to the upcoming season for the Hoosier players who hope to improve on their 8-9-1 mark from last season. \n"She is exciting and fun to work with," junior back Whitney Butler said. \nButler transferred to IU last summer from Connecticut, and said there will be an adjustment period (for any transfer). But that adjustment depends on the individual.\n"Any time you play with a new team and new coaches, you have to adjust," Butler said. "I had no problem because the practice and weight schedule was about the same as UConn and the team was very welcoming."\nSchool size is another issue. Butler University enrolls 3,400 full-time students, compared to more than 30,000 who flood the Bloomington campus.\n"The school size was a huge change, but the team has done a great job at making me feel welcome," Bryan said. "They have treated me really well and have been really receptive."\nNot only are there changes off the field, there are also changes on. The talent-level of players Bryan will be facing will change from the MCC, where only one team made it to the NCAA tournament. The Big Ten sent four teams.\n"Soccer-wise, the caliber of teams is another thing I will have to adjust to," Bryan said. "But by working out three times a week and (doing) the strength program we are on, is making me a better player. I feel stronger already."\nWith the adjustments, Bryan said she still feels she is going to make a difference with the Hoosiers and get them back to winning.\n"I want to be a leader on this team," Bryan said. "I expect to make an impact right away"