Team ties for championship

The IU baseball team failed to have a winning weekend for the second weekend in a row after going 1-2-1 and tying in the championship game of the Winthrop tournament in Rock Hill, S.C. \nIn the first game of the tournament, IU was holding onto a 10-7 lead before giving up four runs in the final two innings and taking the loss to Eastern Kentucky.\nTom Booghier's double in the ninth ended the game, giving the Colonels the victory.\n"Offensively, we scored enough runs to win two games," head coach Bob Morgan said. "We have to protect the lead and extend the lead."\nIn the second game of Friday's doubleheader, IU bounced back and easily defeated Wagner 11-2. The Hoosiers jumped on Wagner early, scoring two runs in the game's first two innings. Senior Nick Otte recorded the only win of the weekend for IU, going five innings, giving up only one run.\nSaturday, IU couldn't keep the momentum going their way, losing to Winthrop, 8-6. Winthrop jumped on the Hoosiers early, scoring four runs in the second inning before junior left-hander Brad Edwards shut down Winthrop.\nIU got as close as 7-6 after sophomore Vasili Spanos hit a three-run homer and junior Eric Blakeley scored on an error when freshman Josh Romero hit a double down the right-field-line.\nIU had a chance to pull even in the ninth with runners on second and third but Spanos grounded out to end the game. \nAfter IU, Eastern Kentucky and Wagner all finished 1-2, a tie-breaker had to be used to determine who would play in the championship game Sunday. IU won that tie-breaker because the Hoosier defense yielded the fewest amount of runs among the three schools, giving the Hoosiers a rematch of Saturday night's match-up with Winthrop.\nThe championship game was considered a tie with the score 4-4 after nine innings because of IU's travel plans.