Team looking for quick start

For softball coach Diane Stephenson, there is a great deal of uncertainty surrounding her squad this year. On top of the fact that her roster is dominated by underclassmen -- six freshmen and four sophomores -- poor weather has prevented the team from practicing outdoors, which has made it difficult for Stephenson to gauge her team's improvement. \nThe Hoosiers finally practiced outside Tuesday after spending several weeks throwing, hitting and running in Mellencamp Pavillion. \n"It's hard for me to know what to expect from them," Stephenson said after Tuesday's practice. "At least we were able to be outside today and not in a building. Having not played any games, it was nice to at least practice outside."\nWhile weather conditions have been less than ideal, inexperience also makes the outlook for the team hard to judge.\n"We're definitely a young team, but I don't want to use lack of experience as an excuse," Stephenson said. "No matter how young we are, we still have to go out and play the game; we still all have to do our job."\nEntering her 14th season at the helm for the Hoosiers, Stephenson is giving her young team a baptism by fire, asking young players to contribute immediately. A trio of freshmen could start on the Hoosier infield. \n"With Abby (Stark) at second base, and either Dawn (Ramynke) or Heather (Stillans) at first base, the whole right side of our infield is going to be freshmen," Stephenson said.\n"It'll be key for us this season, how the freshmen play."\nLike her coach, sophomore infielder and pitcher Lisa Mattke refuses to use youth as a reason to expect less from the team.\n"We're a young team, but even though we're young, with our ability we can still get the job done." Mattke said. "I am sure a lot of times we'll see three or four freshmen playing at a time, but we all expect the freshmen to play the best they can."\nRamynke, one of the freshmen on whom Stephenson will rely, emphasized the importance of leadership for the younger players.\n"I'd say Brooke Monroe and Lisa (Mattke) are the two I really look to," Ramynke said. "They're just great people, and they are two who really lead by example."\nLeadership is a role Monroe gladly embraces.\n"I'm an upperclassman, and there aren't many of us, so I know that the younger players are looking at me and watching what I do," Monroe said. "I remember when I was a freshman and a sophomore and how much I looked up to the older players."\nMonroe, a co-captain, provides some stability and experience to a team in need of both. The junior catcher comes into the season with 104 consecutive starts for the Hoosiers.\nThe Hoosiers' primary goal for the upcoming season is to advance to the Big Ten tournament, which is comprised of the top six finishers in the league. \n"I would like to get to the Big Ten tournament," Monroe said. "I think if we work together as a team, we have some definite strengths, and we can accomplish our goal."\nConsidering their difficulties last season, when the Hoosiers struggled to 15-32 and 5-13 in conference play, the team must use the pre-season to prepare itself for the difficult conference schedule.\n"It is hard to say where we are right now in terms of improvement," Stephenson said. "That's really why (Saturday) at Evansville and some of these pre-season tournaments we have coming up are so important."\nWith the start of the season approaching, freshmen players aren't quite sure what to expect from the weeks ahead.\n"I'm excited, but I am also nervous," freshman Valerie White said. "I really don't know what to expect."\nThere's no time for the team to be caught staring into the headlights; a fast start is important for the team to have a successful season. IU gets its shot to open the season with a win Saturday at Evansville.\n"We didn't have such a great year last year, and we lost a lot of close games," Stephenson said. "In order to build our confidence, a quick start is important for us"