Senior explores many interests

Family legacy nurtured student's interest in recorder performance, sciences

Carol Yuan's name might not sound familiar, but the senior is on her way to becoming one of the most well-known student musicians on campus. Her recent performance at the Asian Cultural Center was only one of several facets of the multi-talented Yuan, who is actively involved in Asian cultural activities, plays the recorder, dances and aspires to attend medical school. \nYuan was born to Taiwanese parents in Louisiana but has lived in Taiwan most of her life. \n"My mother introduced me to the recorder since I was 5, and I've been playing ever since," said Yuan, who plans to go to medical school. \nKim Yuan, Carol's mother, also plays the recorder. She said it didn't take long for her family to notice they had a musical talent in her daughter. \n"From about the age of 10 she started winning music contests in Taiwan," Kim Yuan said. "She was one of the best musicians for the recorder in Taiwan for her age." \nBut Yuan isn't merely artistic, Kim Yuan said. She is a prodigious science student, as well. Her father, Peter Yuan, a geology professor in Taiwan, introduced her to the scientific world by taking her to science museums, Kim Yuan said. This is how she developed an aptitude for the sciences, particularly the biological and medical sciences. \nThe Asian Cultural Center concert in which she performed was a fundraiser for Indian earthquake victims.\n"I am happy to be part of the relief effort for the Indian earthquake victims," Yuan said before the concert. "I get my inspiration from nature. I chose birds as a theme for the concert because very often the recorder sounds very much like a bird." \nThe concert gave the audience a taste of an instrument that is not so common in this country. \nIt was only one of several appearances made by Yuan in cultural events across campus. Her list includes a performance at the Madrigal dinner last year. \nLuise Yuan, Yuan's twin sister and best friend, said Yuan has always been a perfectionist. \n"She has always been successful at everything she has done," Luise Yuan said. "She has always wanted to be in the spotlight, and she really knows how to concentrate on whatever she does."\nWhile Yuan is enjoying success in science and music, her mother said she is apprehensive of her decision to go into medicine. \n"Being a doctor is very tiring and challenging, especially for a woman," Kim Yuan said. But she said Yuan's determination to help people and make an impact has over-shadowed her worries. She said she has confidence in her daughter.\n"I love dealing with people," Yuan said. "Medicine affects their lives directly and music does so indirectly."\nBut Yuan said it would be impossible for her to give up science or music. \n"I could never imagine my life without science or music," she said. "I chose medicine as my profession because I can also pursue my interest in the recorder as a doctor. I could not have pursued my interest in science if I became a professional musician." \nYuan was the recipient of the Fernandus and Elizabeth J. Payne undergraduate award for outstanding performance in the biological sciences in 2000. She has been admitted to the IU School of Medicine.