Off-duty trooper was at Theta Chi party

Officials: Patrolman guarded door on night of Korona accident

An off-duty Indiana State Police officer guarded the door to the Theta Chi fraternity house during the Jan. 27 party where freshman Seth Korona is believed to have suffered a skull fracture, University officials said.\nKorona, 19, died Feb. 4 after several days in a coma.\nThe Indiana State Police officer was working at the time for Alliance Security, a company operated by the Indiana State Police Alliance, Don Cook, executive director of the Alliance, told The Associated Press.\nCook would not reveal the trooper's name or specific duties at the party.\nDean of Students Richard McKaig said he didn't know state police were working at the event until later, but he said it's not unusual for off-duty police officers to protect guest lists at fraternity parties.\n"Like several of the parties on campus, (Theta Chi) had hired an off-duty police officer to guard the door," McKaig said.\nIU Police Department Lt. Jerry Minger said the Indiana State Police officer had been at the house the night of the party. IUPD does not provide security service at fraternity and sorority houses, Minger said.\nAlcohol was served at the party, McKaig said last week. But the officer at the party was not likely in a position to have witnessed illegal activity at the party, he said.\n"Our investigation has led us to believe alcohol was in the upstairs rooms," McKaig said.\nThe state police officer probably would've been at the door or just inside the door, he said.\nIUPD will talk to the trooper as part of its investigation, Minger said.\nThe investigation into Korona's death -- originally expected to be completed this week -- won't be done until the middle of next week, Minger said.\nAbout 15 people have been interviewed, he said, but IUPD hopes to speak to a total of about 30 people. Minger said the information obtained so far has been somewhat consistent.\nOnce the police report is written, it will be compared with the coroner's report, Minger said.\nMcKaig said the interviews are taking longer than expected for a few reasons: the volume of interviews that have to be done and some people are waiting to talk to police until they have a lawyer present.\nMcKaig said University action after the investigation is complete is likely -- against Theta Chi or against individuals.\n"My first preference would be for a speedy conclusion," McKaig said. "But even better than that is for a complete investigation."\nThe Associated Press contributed to this story.