Hoosiers take 1 win, lose 2 in weekend

IU still working out kinks after 3-game series against offensive Furman

IU started the 2001 campaign in Greenville, S.C., for a three-game weekend series against Furman.\nThe Hoosiers won once in the three-game set. \nIn the season opener Friday, Furman jumped on top of the Hoosiers early, knocking junior starter Brad Edwards, around for nine runs -- eight earned -- in 3.2 innings. The Paladins pounded out 14 more runs before the game was suspended in the seventh inning because of darkness. \nThe next day, IU came out a different team putting up seven runs to finish out the nine-inning, two-day affair, but still taking the loss 24-10. The Hoosiers continued the scoring in the second game of the series, taking the second game in another high-scoring match-up, 19-12. Furman jumped out to an early 4-0 lead, but the Hoosiers came back with five runs in the next inning. The lead went back and forth until the Hoosiers put the game away, scoring 19 runs with the help of senior outfielder Blake St. Clair's two homeruns. \n"We came back from yesterday and really played great as a team," sophomore infielder Vasili Spanos said in a press release. \nIn the finale, Furman came back from its defeat and went on an offensive rampage, scoring in every inning but two, beating the Hoosiers 13-6. IU had 11 hits and three errors while the Paladins had 10 hits, including two homeruns, on no errors. IU did cut the lead to 9-5 before Furman put up four more runs to put the game out of reach. Furman scored 49 runs in the three game series compared to the Hoosiers 35.\n"We played very solid defensively, got some key hits and an early lead, and got good pitching from Toby David," said Furman head coach Ron Smith in a press release. "That's a good combination." \nIU finished the series 1-2 and the wins moved the Paladins to 7-2 on the young season.