Filmmaker Wajda honored in series

Films explore controversial issues in Poland

Featuring one of the best-known modern Eastern European filmmakers, Andrzej Wajda, a new foreign film series begins today, sponsored by the Polish Studies Center.\nThe filmmaker has attained legendary status worldwide, said Bozena Shallcross, associate Slavic languages professor and director of the center.\n"Wajda won the Lifetime Achievement Oscar last year," Shallcross said. "I thought it fitting to follow this up with a Wajda film series, which will introduce his work to Bloomington residents."\nThe series will explore various themes Wajda focused on throughout his career. \nWajda was born in Poland in 1921 and started making films in 1957. From the beginning, he addressed controversial issues such as the Soviet occupation of Poland. \n"He has been such a commentator of our nation's war and postwar history," Shallcross said. "He has revitalized our national memory."\nWajda won numerous awards for his efforts exploring controversial themes in his films.\n\"Wajda spoke with the boldness and sophistication that few have done," said Dodona Kiziria, associate Slavic languages professor. "(His) primary focus in his films is humanism and compassion."\nNumerous Wajda films will be shown, beginning with "Kanal" (1957), which depicts the Nazi pulverization of Poland. "Ashes and Diamonds" (1958) is based on Polish literature and deals with Polish politics and history immediately after the WW II. "Man of Marble" (1976) and "Man of Iron" (1981) deal with the creation of the 'Solidarity' movement. "Danton" (1982) and "Pan Tadeusz" (1999) are adaptations of Polish literary classics, the latter of which received an Oscar nomination for best foreign film. \n"Solidarity was a trade union in Poland and these films reflect this period in Polish history," Shallcross said. "'Pan Tadeusz' is based on a romantic Polish epic poem. If one wants to really understand Polish culture, it is best to watch his films. In his films Polish culture speaks through music, dance and storytelling."\nGraduate assistant at the Polish Studies Center Mark Betka said education of Polish culture is the primary goal of the series.\n"This is exactly what we hope to accomplish through the film series," he said. "It's going to provide and excellent opportunity for the community to learn about Wajda and Poland."\nThe film series begins 7 p.m. today in Chemistry Room 033. "Man of Marble" will be shown Feb. 22 in Student Building Room 150. \nAll films are free and open to the public. An informal discussion and refreshments will follow every screening.