Divers contribute to team's success

Of the eight divers who would be competing in the Big Ten Diving finals of the 1-meter springboards Thursday night at Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center, things looked good for IU. \nOf the 42 divers that competed in the preliminaries, IU owned three of the top eight spots. IU freshman Cassandra Cardinell was in eighth, sophomore Jennifer Sonneborn placed third and senior Erin Quinn was in the lead after scoring 289.5 points. \nThe finals were a different story.\nWhen all was said and done Quinn stood second on the podium with 296.7 points.\nDespite beating expectations, Quinn wasn't happy. \n"I'm not pleased at all. I've finished first in the preliminaries and second in the finals more than three times now," Quinn said. "During my first two dives, my nerves were in control. It wasn't until my third dive that I was able to settle down."\nGaining control over her nerves after her third dive proved too late as Michigan State's Summer Mitchell took first place with a total of 299.35 points. \n"Going into it, it was anyone\'s game," Mitchell said. "All the divers here are awesome. I just dove great and won. I'm very excited."\nSonneborn dropped from third to eighth place. Sonneborn's second dive was the reason for the large change in her place. \nWhile making the approach on her two-and-one-half somersault in the pike position, Sonneborn hesitated and had to make her approach for the second time. Her dive suffered, scoring threes and fours. Sonneborn had been receiving sevens.\nBut Cardinell was another highlight for the Hoosiers' diving team, as she was able to move from eighth to fifth, scoring a total of 280.6 points. \n"Cardinell dove wonderfully," diving coach Jeff Huber said. "For a freshman, diving the list that she dove, to finish in fifth place is great."\nHuber said he was happy with the final results of his team but talked of today's 3-meter competition with hope. \n"I'm pleased," Huber said. "I think some of us are a little disappointed, they performed a little below expectations. We were nervous, but we'll be more relaxed tomorrow.\n"I want to congratulate the other divers of the Big Ten. Everyone dove great and should be proud of themselves."\nMichigan State's Carly Weiden rounded out the top three, capturing third place with a total of 277.81. The three Hoosiers were able to contribute a combined total of 42 points that helped IU finish the first day of competition with 175 points, enough to head into today's competition in second place.