world

Bush faces difficult path

Divided Senate might complicate bipartisan policy

Democrats and Republicans make up the two largest parties in the United States. Constituents expect party officials to uphold their values and beliefs, which might make President George W. Bush's job harder as he tries to unite both parties. \nAfter the election of 2000, the American voting public has called on officials to put aside political affiliations and work together. But some political experts say that might be difficult given the division in government. \nLast fall, the country split about who it wanted in the House, Senate and White House. The outcome is expected to change the way legislation is decided and how policies get through. The Senate is divided, with 50 Democrats and 50 Republicans. \nPaul Chandler, press secretary for Rep. Pete Visclosky (D-1) said the trend has been ongoing for years. \n"The past couple of terms have also been closely divided," he said. \nChandler said Visclosky sees the situation as a new challenge, although many of the caucuses on which politicians work are bipartisan anyway, such as the steel caucus on which Visclosky serves. He said the biggest deterrent of policymaking is the politicians who are on the far right or left.\n"Extreme ends get in the way," he said.\n"Policymaking will go through in a conservative direction," said Gerald Wright, professor of political science. \nBecause of the division, Wright said he believes any agenda that is too partisan will be a challenge for politicians to accomplish. \n"Anything that is in a sharp direction is going to be stopped," Wright said.\nA spokesman for the White House, Scott Stanzel, expressed a similar view.\n"The president and policymaking is not political. It's about enforcing the law of the land." \nWith the assistance of Bush, the House and Senate must learn how to cooperate, Stanzel said. \n"President Bush is going to change the tone in Washington. He is working closely with Democrats and Republicans to get policies through"