Alumna authors book, teaches belly dancing

Belly dancing gave IU grad Donna Carlton a new career.\n"I was working at a desk job, and I was really unhappy," Carlton said. " So a friend got me interested in Middle Eastern dance." Carlton now teaches a Middle Eastern dance class at the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation building and has written a book called "Looking for Little Egypt."\nCarlton also teaches belly dancing classes every Monday evening at the International House. Two classes are offered Mondays, at 6 p.m. and 7 p.m. The classes rotate on a five-week basis, starting with an introductory level.\nThe introductory class is made up of 12 women, and Carlton said the class attracts a diverse group of students. \n"We have people who are from Bolivia, Canada, Mexico and Asia," Carlton said. \nYuki Kashima, a graduate student, said she enjoys both the dance and the music.\n"I like the slow movement. It is a new experience for me," Kashima said. "I like the Arabic and Egyptian music."\nThe dancing itself involves fluidity of movement and must be graceful. The movements are focused on the arms and the hips. The hips tend to serve as a beat to the rhythm of the dance, allowing the arms and hands to move freely in expression. The dance itself causes the dancer to focus on him- or herself, and less on the audience or the other dancers.\n"I really like the music," Carlton said. "It really speaks to me. There is great joy in this music."\nMembers of the class cite relaxation as their favorite aspect. \n"(The classes) make me feel in touch and very relaxed," Maria Muriel said.\nHer classmate, Jazib Molina, said it was good exercise.\n"The classes are really fun and really sexy," she said. "It is very relaxing to be able to come and not have to worry about anyone watching you. You also get a chance to move some muscles that you don't normally move."\nCarlton said the underlying message of the class is for students to enjoy themselves. The class members said they use it as a way to relax and meet other people. \n"This class is for fun," Carlton said. "This class is for people to learn to move their hips and to learn about Middle Eastern music"