Players to brave best of Big Ten

After more than two months off, the men's tennis team will resume play with the Big Ten Indoor Singles Tournament, beginning Saturday at Michigan. The three-day event will feature the conference's best singles players and is often viewed as a prestigious tournament to win.\nIndiana's nine participants will be split into two tournaments, with the top six squads in one bracket and the remaining three in the other. The event will not be scored by teams, but IU still sees it as an opportunity to prepare for the upcoming Big Ten season, which opens Feb. 17 at Minnesota.\n"Winning this would be huge for both the program and the individual," junior Rahman Smiley said. "It's also good because the match play will help to get back in a groove."\nThere is little time for the Hoosiers to adapt to competitive play, as the schedule fills up quickly with one more January match (at Notre Dame Jan. 25) and six more matches in February. This weekend's tournament serves as the final practice for players to touch up on their game. \n"We want to do damage in the tournament," coach Ken Hydinger said. "I think all of our players are capable of doing well."\nThe 64-draw event will be single elimination with a consolation bracket. While a large event such as this can often overwhelm participants, Smiley said that will not happen. This has proved fatal for him in the past, while attempting to finish off his opponents. He has learned that gaining an early lead does not allow for a change in play.\n"To close out matches, I have to concentrate better," he said. "I need to seize advantages and continue to play aggressively, rather than defensively."\nThroughout the fall season, only two or three players would be sent to a given tournament. Because this weekend's tournament will allow so many participants, IU's wide spectrum of playing styles will be on display.\n"We have a combined style," said senior Brendan Storey, whose IU career ended in surgery Thursday. "We have baseliners who try to wear down opponents, and aggressive players, too"