Pacers need new plan of attack

The NBA season is nearing its halfway point, and the Indiana Pacers are barely staying afloat in the Eastern Conference. Heading into tonight's matchup against Atlanta, the defending conference champion Pacers have struggled to a 20-21 record, placing them only a half-game ahead of Cleveland for the eighth and final playoff spot in the East.\nThe Pacer front office needs to evaluate the team's situation and its chances for the season, and then make some personnel changes to repair the team's direction will take this year and beyond.\nThe way I see it, the Pacers have two options, each with sharply contrasting benefits and results.\nFocus on the current season\nThe Pacers could be to concentrate solely on turning this season around, making the playoffs and trying to defend their conference title.\nTo achieve this goal, team president Donnie Walsh would need to bring in some experienced, consistent veterans for the playoff push. Current Pacers such as Sam Perkins and Derrick McKey would need to continue to get more playing time. Perkins' and McKey's playing time has increased recently -- part of the reason the Pacers have won six of their last eight games and four in a row. Three of those wins were on the road.\nThe youthful core of this year's squad, which includes players such as Jonathan Bender, Al Harrington and Jeff Foster, has shown some positive signs, but these players have been largely inconsistent and for the most part have not been getting the job done.\nBattle-tested veterans could help the Pacers win more close games and move the team up in the standings. But to get these veterans, Indiana would have to give up one or more of its prized young stars, on whom it is counting on to carry the franchise in the years to come. So the trade-off is risky.\nOne area in which the Pacers are in desperate need of an upgrade is at center. Atlanta's Dikembe Mutombo will be a free agent at the end of the season, and his name has been flying around in several trade rumors, including some that involve the Pacers. Having Mutombo in the middle would increase Indiana's playoff possibilities, but giving up a few prospects in exchange for the services of Mutombo for a half season will not be worth it in the long run. It is not even guaranteed to pay off this year.\nRealistically, looking at the league this year, Indiana's chances of going anywhere are slim to almost none. If the Pacers were to scrap and fight out a low playoff seed by mostly playing veterans and leaving younger players out of the mix, they would go on to lose in the first or second round. Hardly anything positive would result. The veterans would just be one year older without anything to show for it, and the young guns would not have gained much experience.\nPlan for the future\nOption two for Walsh and the Pacers involves some patience, a lot of losses in the near future and maybe even a bit of luck.\nCoach Isiah Thomas could decide to scrap the rest of this season and focus on preparing his young talent for the future. He could hand the reins of the team to Harrington, Bender, Foster, Jermaine O'Neal and Austin Croshere, and give them the playing time and freedom they need to mature and develop in the league. Obviously Reggie Miller, Jalen Rose and Travis Best would still have a major role on the team, but giving the younger players room to grow could have several benefits.\nIt would help these young players develop to the level everyone expects. If they did put together a solid second half and make the playoffs, that would be a pleasant surprise. \nIf they lost games and missed the playoffs, the Pacers would have a lottery pick in next year's draft, with the chance of landing one of the top three picks. This would open up opportunities for the team, such as trading its draft pick for someone who fits in nicely in the Pacer system, or using its pick and trading one of the younger players who does not seem to be panning out. \nGiving up on this season and enduring a second half full of losses could be difficult for the players and fans of a team that has been so successful in the past 10 years. But the more the Pacers lose and the lower they fall in the standings, the higher the likelihood that David Stern will call their name when announcing the No. 1 pick in next year's draft. \nI can see Duke star Shane Battier wearing the blue and gold already.