Hoosiers cruise past competition in home meets

Divers struggle against Ohio State, but recover to qualify for NCAAs

Members of the men's swimming and diving teams came back to Bloomington early to compete in the Counsilman Billingsley Aquatic Center. The men's swim team finished with a 151-90 victory against Cincinnati, while the diving team fell short to Ohio State.\nIn their dual meet Saturday, the Hoosiers swam past Cincinnati, taking first place in seven events. Sophomore David Schulze led the team, winning all three of his events. Schulze's relay team took first, and his 200-meter individual medley and 200-meter breaststroke qualified him for first place.\nAlso grabbing wins for the team were senior Will Bernhardt in the 200-meter backstroke with a time of 1 minute, 51.56 seconds, senior Craig Hertz in the 100-meter freestyle, senior Don Gold in the 200-meter free and sophomore Kevin Euans in the 200-meter butterfly. Both 400-meter relays swam to a first place finish.\nHead swimming coach Kris Kirchner said he was pleased by the effort his team put forth.\n"I thought this meet was an excellent start to the second half of the year," Kirchner said. "I feel very good about where we are right now."\nCoach Dorsey Tierney and the women's team also cruised to a win in the dual meet against Cincinnati 161-77 Saturday.\nThe Hoosiers combined to win nine of the 11 events led by senior Jenn Cristy, who won the 50-yard free in a season best 23.58. Sophomore Anne Williams followed in the 50-yard free, finishing second with a time of 24.23 seconds. Cristy also won the 100-yard freestyle and anchored the winning 400-yard medley relay. \nSunday marked the third and final day of competition for the Hoosiers at the Indiana Dive-Off, featuring Ohio State and Cincinnati. The diving team saw its final competition on the platform until the Big Ten meets. The Buckeyes' Chris Monson scored 448.57 points to defeat junior Eric Robson.\nDespite the loss, Robson made the NCAA qualifying meet with his 1 1/2 twist, scoring two nines. Diving coach Jeff Huber said he is confident he will continue to improve.\n"(Robson) is finally getting back into shape," Huber said. "He has a good focus and we can get some good months out of him."\nSpringboard winners in the dive-off included senior Tom Davidson, who struggled to stay on top throughout Friday. Freshman Marc Carlton qualified for Saturday's competition and was defeated by Davidson.\nFor the women, OSU's Natalia Diea won with 416.10 points. Freshman Cassandra Cardinell and sophomore Jessica Williams took second and third with 348.67 and 346.20 points, respectively.