Fife not welcome on Michigan turf

Junior guard booed by Wolverine fans in Tuesday's loss

With four seconds remaining on the game clock against Michigan Tuesday night, Tom Coverdale passed the ball outside to Kirk Haston. It was the same play IU used in Sunday's game against Michigan State. Haston took a look at the basket and shot the ball -- but this time, it bounced around the rim a few times before falling to the floor. The shot was no good. \nThe only difference was that the buzzer signified the end of the first half, and IU was leading by one point. And unlike Sunday's triumphant win against Michigan State, IU couldn't handle Michigan's other team, losing to the Wolverines 70-64.\nHaston struggled from the outside shot tonight. \n"It was a tough night," Haston said. "Things just weren't dropping." \nHaston was named Big Ten Player of the Week Monday for the second time this season. Not only did Haston's three-pointer seal the Michigan State game, but he also led the team in scoring with 27 points. \nFreshman guard Andre Owens called Tuesday's six-point loss a let down.\n"We just weren't prepared for tonight," said Owens, who scored 10 off the bench for IU. "We just have to come out ready next time. (Michigan) was just more into it than we were."

No Welcome Home\nThe boos, chants and cheers from the crowd in Crisler Arena were all directed towards junior guard Dane Fife. But the boos came after his name was announced at the beginning of the game, and the cheers happened when he made a mistake.\n "It's always a tough crowd when I come here," Fife said. "I knew what it was going to be like."\n The jeers and cheers were expected, because it happens every time Fife comes home. Fife, a native of Clarkston, Mich., has been hassled by the Wolverine crowd since his freshman year, when he wandered away from the family tradition of going to Michigan, and headed to IU.\nFife had nothing but smiles on his face as he took the court. At tip-off the chant from the student section was "Dugan's better," referring to Fife's older brother, who played for the Wolverines from 1992-96.\nThe crowd hounded Fife even after he forced a Michigan turnover, and made free throws amid the obscenities.\nFife got one final goodbye in the game. After he fouled out, he retreated to the sidelines with the crowd waving at his back. \n"It's still nice to come home and play in front of people I know," Fife said. "It gets you pumped up."

Injury Report\nReserve guard Kyle Hornsby went down in the first half with blood dripping from his face. He was diving for the ball when he hit his nose on the court. After stumbling around, IU called a time-out, and Hornsby was escorted into the locker room. He did not return for the rest of the first half.\n"I just remember getting hit in the back of the head," Hornsby said. "I got eight stitches."\nHornsby came out with the team for the second half, but with a big, white bandage over his right eye. This is the second consecutive game in which Hornsby has sustained an injury to his face.\nHe suffered from a split lip after the crowd rushed the court following the Michigan State game.\n"I landed on the bottom of the student pile," Hornsby said. "I guess somebody just kicked me in the mouth"