Championship is athlete's No. 1 goal

Imagine being bundled in crimson warm-ups and a gray hooded sweatshirt, jumping rope after a strenuous three-round match. \nMeet Viktor Sveda, a junior wrestler who does this very ritual.\nAfter winning his first match of the 2000-2001 season against Missouri's Ry Stone, Sveda walked off the mat and began jumping rope. These rope-hurdling actions are an example of the hard work Sveda displays.\nThat hard work is paying off, and he'll get another chance to show it 7 p.m. today in Evansville as the Hoosiers face Purdue.\nSveda has earned national attention for his attempt to be the greatest. Last year, Sveda brought home NCAA All-American honors. This season, he stands near the top of his weight class. Sveda is currently recognized as the No. 5 wrestler in the country among 184-pounders.\nDuring Sveda's time with the Hoosiers, he has complied a 96-17 record. He has been one of the main sources of competition for wrestlers across the country, the IU coaching staff said.\n"Viktor is intense and focused," assistant coach and Olympic wrestler Charles Burton said. "The key to his success is for him to continue to wear down his opponents."\nTo reach the No. 1 spot, Sveda must continue to dominate opponents. The more experience he has, the better he will be by season's end, he said. \n"I felt sluggish during my match against Missouri," Sveda said. "I will get better with more competition as the season goes on. My No. 1 goal this year is to be No. 1. Anything less will be a disappointment."\nAccomplishing that task can be done through hard work, discipline and determination, said coach Duane Goldman. He said Sveda has all of the elements needed to be a champion. \n"Viktor is an extremely hard worker," Goldman said. "There is no discounting his work effort. He loves to compete and puts high expectations on himself."\nSveda has been a huge contributor to his team's success, winning 16 of his 19 matches this season. The Hoosiers now rely on Sveda's dominant efforts, and are closing in on higher national rankings. IU is ranked No. 23 in national polls, according to InterMat.\nSveda's winning ways have rubbed off on teammates; IU has won nine of 10 matches this season, including a victory against 18th-ranked Pennsylvania at the Virginia Duals last Sunday.\n"Viktor has a great drive to win," junior 197-pounder Brett Becks said. "He is someone that we can count on for a win."\nNot only has Sveda 's wrestling ability had an affect on his teammates, his leadership has, too. Sveda offers valuable insight to younger team members who lack varsity experience, Becks said. \n"Viktor is a great leader," he said. "If it is not vocal, it is through his actions."\nSveda said his leadership came as a result of a great coaching staff that has propelled IU into one of the top spots in the Big Ten, one of the nation's strongest conferences.\n"I came to IU because of the great coaching staff and great program," Sveda said. \nSveda, who won a state championship at Walsh Jesuit High School in Peninsula, Ohio, said Bloomington's close proximity to Ohio also factored in his decision.\nGoldman said Sveda must develop and solidify his technique if he intends to win a national title. \n"Being ready at the beginning of the match is one of the most important things he can to do improve," Goldman said. \nIf the elements fall into place, IU might have a wrestler claiming a national championship. In the meantime, Sveda continues to work toward this goal.\n"(In) every competition," Sveda said, "my ultimate goal is to win and wrestle tough"