Vandals strike downtown McDonald's

After-hours police patrols increased

When Starbucks Coffee, 110 S. Indiana Ave., opened in January, it was amid much dissent from student activists and Bloomington residents. The store was vandalized on several occasions, including once when the front windows were broken. \nNow another Kirkwood-area store is under attack.\nMcDonald's, 420 E. Kirkwood Ave., has been the target of vandalism five times in six weeks, Bloomington Police Capt. Joe Qualters said. Seven windows were broken, and two were damaged early Saturday morning. \nNo one has left messages or notes claiming responsibility, and Qualters said he doesn't know who is behind the vandalism. \nStore owner Gerry Stieglitz said he believes the McDonald's is being targeted.\n"This is not a random act," he said. "We're being targeted for something, and I'm not sure what."\nQualters said he was uncertain whether the case was related to the vandalism at Starbucks last year.\n"Once Starbucks opened up, obviously some were displeased with their presence in this community," Qualters said. "But it basically stopped when students left for summer break. However, this year McDonald's seems to be the target." \nThe Kirkwood McDonald's opened in 1986 and has never been vandalized as much, Stieglitz said.\n"Anybody with a business downtown is used to getting a little graffiti or something small, but nothing on an ongoing basis like this," he said. "Maybe in a total of 15 years, this store has had three or four broken windows or some graffiti."\nHe said new windows have been ordered at about $300 apiece. The broken windows have been secured so the restaurant can remain open.\nStieglitz said he is unsure of the effect on business. But he said patrons have expressed concern about the vandalism, as have employees. \n"A lot of customers think the whole thing is really ridiculous," he said. "Employees are just as worried. When you walk into a store at five or six in the morning and see windows broken, you're bound to get a bit nervous."\nQualters, who has been with the BPD for more than 13 years, said this type of repeated vandalism is something he's never seen before.\n"For one place to be hit that frequently, it's odd," Qualters said. "Between McDonald's and Starbucks, I would say these are certainly the exception."\nQualters said that although Bloomington sees a lot of vandalism, most of it is random. He said these incidents could be related to people walking home from the bars or just pedestrian traffic, but he said it is impossible to know for sure.\n"I don't think this vandalism is related to theft; I think it is strictly vandalism," he said. "There are no messages or indicators at all as to who might be responsible."\nQualters said BPD has increased the number of officers patrolling Kirkwood Avenue. Bloomington is divided into five sections, with Kirkwood falling in the downtown district. On average, two to three officers are responsible for this area from about 2 p.m. until 6 a.m., he said. \n"Patrols are stepping up in the area, with our night shift officers focusing on the Kirkwood area," he said. \nGail Sidney, vice president for advocacy and membership for the Bloomington Chamber of Commerce, said the Chamber is aware of the vandalism at McDonald's. She was unsure whether the Chamber would become involved.\n"It's always disheartening to hear of vandalism to anyone's business," she said. "We would feel that way regardless of whether a business is a chamber member or not."\nAnother corporate chain, Urban Outfitters, 530 E. Kirkwood Ave., is only a few blocks from McDonald's. \nJennifer Richie, women's department manager, said the store has been exempt so far from the string of vandalism. She said she has not been contacted about it by the BPD. \nAs Urban Outfitters resides in the University-owned Carmichael Center, all incidents or complaints would be dealt with by the IU Police Department.\n"We haven't done anything to step up security," she said. "We have a guard in the building, but since no action has been taken against us, we haven't really needed to worry or get involved." \nLt. Jerry Minger of the IUPD said he has not received any calls about vandalism to Carmichael Center. \n"As far as I know, we haven't been asked to get involved, nor have we suffered any kind of incidents," he said. "However, if any such incident should occur, we certainly would be available.\nThe most dispiriting aspect of this problem is the magnitude of the damage and its recurrence, Stieglitz said. McDonalds has been active in the community, he said.\n"We're not an outside group, so stuff like this just doesn't make sense," he said. "I don't even know what this is over. It's just inconceivable and mind-boggling."\nQualters said BPD is investigating. Anyone with information should call BPD at 349-3306. If anyone sees vandalism being committed, call 911.