Students volunteer in honor of King Day

Although many students will sleep in Jan. 15, many students will wake up early and put Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream into action by volunteering.\nAs part of the Volunteer Students Bureau program, 23 groups of students have registered so far to work Jan. 13 or Jan. 15 -- Martin Luther King Jr. Day -- helping area nonprofit agencies or community groups.\nDarell Ann Stone, associate director of student activities, said each year the weekend of volunteering to honor King's legacy grows larger and more diverse.\n"Each year the event involves more faculty and staff as well as students," Stone said. "This year, we are hoping the entire IU community understands this service project -- including faculty and staff."\nOn their day of volunteering, groups go to an agency and donate several hours of their time. Individuals who don't have a group are also encouraged to participate, Stone said. They will be placed with the Volunteer Students Bureau group or added on to another group. She said interested volunteers for the weekend need to register and go through the Volunteer Students Bureau.\nThis year, for the first time, volunteers can register online. Erin Keneally, a part-time student and president of Volunteer Students Bureau, said the online registration has been a good way to register groups for the event.\n"As of right now, 23 groups have registered and more will be registering before the Dec. 7 deadline," Keneally said. "My hope is next year we start promoting this event earlier on. We hope to do a lot more speaking on it and provide literature for the students."\nKeneally said the Volunteer Students Bureau has been responsible for the administrative sides of the weekend event. She said they have been e-mailing more than 300 student organizations informing them of the event.\nStone said for many people this weekend might be their first time volunteering, and it might also be the agencies' first time having volunteers.\n"This meaningful reflection becomes a careful collaboration to make this experience rewarding for all," she said. "This is so much more than giving up your time ... It's looking at where you want to put your energy and which issues you feel strong enough to help out."\nIU provides many services and volunteer opportunities students can take part in, Stone said. She said it is important for students to know volunteering opportunities exist throughout the year. Twenty to 25 volunteer programs exist within departments on campus, she said. Students who are interested in volunteering can contact the Student Activities Office or Volunteer Students Bureau.\nRima Kapitan, a junior, said volunteering is an important part of the college experience.\n"There are many opportunities on campus and the community," Kapitan said. "It's satisfying to know you are giving back to the community."\nStone said it is important to get diverse groups to volunteer for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day weekend.\n"In the past, there was a typical student who participated in a volunteering event," Stone said. "But each year more and more students who don't fit in that stereotype are coming forward ... It is drawing more people out, and it speaks well to what Dr. King was about -- bringing people together"