One win, one tie for hockey team

Hoosiers bounce back Saturday after Friday night draw with Dayton

The hockey team tied its home game with the University of Dayton Friday, but an 11-man scoring assault allowed the team to prevail against the Flyers Saturday.\n"Dayton is an improved team, but I don't feel like we played our best hockey," assistant coach and general manager Alex Kyrias said.\nThe Hoosiers (10-4-1, 7-0-1 Midwest Collegiate Hockey League) led by two goals with five minutes remaining in the third period Friday, but Dayton (6-8-2, 0-3-1 MCHL) fought back and forced a 6-6 tie.\n"Our team defense gave up at the end," junior forward and captain Dan Hauck said.\nJunior forward and assistant captain Bryan Grant led the Hoosiers with two goals and two assists Friday, and sophomore forward Rhys Anderson had two goals. Three other Hoosiers combined for six points.\nIn the net, senior goalie Chad Whitlock allowed six goals and made 16 saves in a full game. The Hoosiers outshot the Flyers 27-22.\nIU scored two quick goals in Saturday's contest to jump out to an early lead. Although Dayton fought back to tie in the middle of the second period, IU quickly regained its composure and skated to a 5-3 victory.\n"We regrouped (Saturday night), and that was a big win for us," Hauck said.\nNo single Hoosier dominated the scoring, as the team's 11 points were the result of 11 one-point performances. The goals were scored by junior forward Matt Voll, junior forward Gordy Haggard, junior defenseman Tim McMahon, Grant and sophomore forward Frank Harrison.\nSenior goalie Justin Wojtowicz allowed three goals and made 22 saves in a full game in the net. The Hoosiers outshot the Flyers 29-25 Saturday.\n"We're not playing our best hockey right now," coach Rich Holdeman said. "But we did, in the tough situations, do what we had to do to win."\nOn the season, Grant leads the team in goals (15), assists (19) and points (34). He is also only one of five Hoosiers to play in every game this season.\nThe Hoosiers will face the University of Illinois' Division II team Friday and play host to the Indiana Alumni Classic exhibition game Saturday.