Hollister tells stories with new album

Although most people aren't familiar with Dave Hollister, it's hard to forget his voice once you hear it. His work with the group BLACKstreet certainly raised more than a few eyebrows, but he was soon forgotten by the fans after the group underwent a few lineup changes worthy of the comparison of what Destiny's Child recently went through.

Dave Hollister
Chicago '85... The Movie
Def Squad/Dream Works

After a five-year hiatus, Hollister returned with a solid solo debut album Ghetto Hymns. The album was well worth the wait, but it received very little notice. Thankfully, a bit more than a year later Hollister finally comes across the material that is worthy of his vocal talents. His second album, Chicago '85… The Movie, is not just a thoughtfully written, produced and performed album. It is also a successful concept album that tells so many compelling stories. Chicago '85 is a natural follow-up to Ghetto Hymns. Both records are concept albums that detail the drama in everyday life. Both albums share many similar themes, but Chicago '85 is definitely more mature, introspective and less anger-ridden than Ghetto Hymns. A huge step for Hollister here is the inclusion of lighthearted songs like "Keep On Lovin' " and the album's first single "One Woman Man." Those tracks are irresistibly breezy, and they perfectly complement the more depressing tracks on the album. Hollister's voice is undeniably appealing, but his biggest asset is his emotionally earnest vocal performance. On ballads like "We've Come Too Far" and "Destiny," Hollister's emotionally charged interpretations of the heartbreaking lyrics are enough to move listeners to tears. On cautionary tales like "I Don't Want To Be a Hustler," "Doing Wrong" and "A Woman Will," listeners can also easily relate to the regret and agony in his voice. Chicago '85… The Movie is definitely one album that stands out in a truly competitive scene. Once you give this album a careful listen, the rich sound and affecting performance will remain with you long after the album is over.