Time runs out for winning season

No longer does IU have next week to fall back upon.\nAfter every loss, the Hoosiers have quickly turned their attention to the next week. \nBut this is it. There are no more weeks to look to if IU plans on a winning season or a bowl game bid.\nThe team's progress in the last few weeks has been a positive sign for the future, but the true evaluation of its success will be whether it has a winning record.\nIf IU wins this week, I can write the same column next week. I could actually do it for the next three weeks if IU can pull out the next two games, because the Hoosiers need to win their final three to finish 6-5. \nTwo and half hours away, Illini sinks in a similar boat.\nFollowing an eight-win season and a 63-21 win against Virginia in the Micron.com Bowl, the Fighting Illini's players, coaches and fans thought the program had been turned around. With most of the team returning, including 10 starters from a potent offense, expectations were set as high as a Rose Bowl.\nIllinois started the season with three wins against nonconference opponents but has since won only one Big Ten contest in five games. Big Ten title hopes have changed to hopes of not finishing last. \nThe Fighting Illini need a victory in Saturday's game almost as much as IU does, since the Fighting Illini still need two wins to be bowl eligible. Even if Illinois does defeat the Hoosiers, two wins could be difficult because its two final opponents are Ohio State and Northwestern, and both are in contention for the conference championship.\nThe keys to victory for IU this week would be to pound Illinois on the ground and keep quarterback Kurt Kittner from having a Heisman-worthy performance.\nIU's running game is among the best in the nation while Illinois' run defense is among the worst. If junior quarterback Antwaan Randle El and junior running back Levron Williams are clicking, there's no reason both cannot finish with more than 150 yards and a couple touchdowns. \nIf the Hoosiers are put in a situation where Randle El has to pass continuously, Illinois will have the advantage.\nLast week, Kittner threw 13-for-19 for 104 yards and two interceptions -- by far his worst game of the season. Illinois' only touchdown last week came from a defensive score.\nKittner can be expected to rise to the occasion this week and have some big numbers, but IU must stop him from throwing for 500 yards and six touchdowns.\nBoth teams' fates will be twisted one way or the other after Saturday's game. A loss for Illinois will give it little hope for next week and the rest of this season.\nIf IU loses, there could always be hope for next season.