Tax-free textbooks can be reality

Contrary to claims made in the Oct. 19 IDS staff editorial, "Tax-free books lofty goal for IUSA," tax-free textbooks can be a reality. Substantial progress has been made, and IUSA's campaign to eliminate the tax on textbooks will be successful if students support our efforts. \nAlthough it will be an uphill battle, it will not be one that students haven't fought before. Tax exemptions similar or identical to the one that IUSA is seeking to obtain have already been granted to students in nine states. Legislation is still pending in four others. \nIUSA is not breaking new ground. Instead, we are simply following the trend. \nYes, this is not a new concept, as stated in the editorial, and, as a result, thousands of college and university students throughout the country enjoy lower textbook prices and a more affordable cost of education. \nStudents have also been successful in Indiana. Despite their claims that "no substantial progress can be observed," the editorial board of the IDS failed to mention that in 1999, the first IUSA effort to eliminate the tax on textbooks produced a bill that would have made textbooks tax exempt. \nFor one reason or another, the bill was never voted on in committee, but the issue was raised and substantial progress was made toward achieving our goal. This previous attempt has laid the foundation for this year's effort and will undoubtedly make it less difficult for IUSA to be successful during the 2001 legislative session this January. \nWhile a great deal of time and energy was put into the 1999 campaign, this year's efforts are far more comprehensive. In 1999, we did not have signature gathering campaign, and only a handful of student governments participated. \nThis year, signature gathering campaigns have already been organized at 14 other schools and campuses around the state. We continue to contact new schools every day, and it is likely that every college and university in Indiana will participate in this effort in some way before the January legislative session. \nChanging state law will certainly be a difficult process, but it is important for students to recognize that substantial change often requires sustained, long-term efforts to produce. Such long-term efforts were responsible for the administration's decision to build the Student Recreational Sports Center. \nAlthough it was a long and difficult process, aggressive lobbying by the Student Recreational Sports Association, IUSA and concerned students eventually persuaded the administration to build the facility in 1995. Student representation on the board of trustees was also achieved through similar long-term efforts. \nIf IUSA had not continued to pursue the issue after our initial failed attempts, we would still probably be without a student trustee today.\nThis year's IUSA is working hard to address student issues and concerns. Our campaign to eliminate the tax on textbooks is just one of the many projects we have taken on this semester. \nBut, our success is dependent upon the degree to which student's support our efforts. If you believe in what we are doing, don't assume that someone else will sign the petitions or bring your concerns to our attention. \nAs students, it is your responsibility to tell us what you want and to support us when we do address your concerns. Thousands have signed our petitions in support of tax-free textbooks, but thousands have not. If you support our efforts, take a few seconds to put down your name. Together, we can make tax-free textbooks a reality.