Nonpoint not bad

South Florida metal band Nonpoint made a pretty decent debut with its freshman release Statement.

Nonpoint
Statement
MCA Records

Unlike many of its metal compatriots, Nonpoint can actually harmonize and, for the most part, exceed the clichés of incoherent lyrics, over-bearing guitar riffs and the angsty B.S. that so many other metal bands are rife with. Sounding like a hybrid of 311 and the Deftones, Nonpoint exudes a smooth yet ruffled sound. The vast majority of the album is pretty good. The sound on each of these tracks varies significantly from one tune to the next. Some songs contain hip-hop influences, while others are straight-forward metal. The few missteps of the album become ensnared in the very conventions that the rest of the album was trying to break. Some of Statement's lesser tracks, such as "Years" and "Hive," draw a parallel between the band's name of Nonpoint, in that they are, at least for the most part, void of purpose. The exception to this slump is a track entitled "Tribute," in which Nonpoint pays homage to both Busta Rhymes and Method Man to somewhat hilarious results. The album's first single is entitled "What a Day," and the tune is about as catchy as metal can possibly be by drawing in on 311 influences mentioned earlier. Nonpoint is made up of lead singer Elias Soriano, drummer Robb Rivera, guitarist/vocalist Andrew Goldman and a bassist simply known as KB. These guys meld together nicely. Soriano is a solid vocalist with decent range and flow, drummer Rivera and bassist KB provide sufficient yet thunderous support and guitarist Goldman drives the music along ably through his hellacious riffs. Statement, most assuredly isn't a perfect album, but all the same it's a pretty solid one. Nonpoint has collaborated to assemble an album of fairly grand proportions, and in the process have differentiated themselves from the onslaught of posers inundating the world of metal.