Hoosier teams compete with varied successes

Women's team remains undefeated; men look for speed

The Hoosier women's swimming and diving team continued its undefeated season with two more wins this weekend against Kentucky and Northwestern in dual meets. Its record is now at 4-0.\nIU defeated Kentucky in a 149-94 victory that resulted from what senior Jenn Cristy called a total team effort.\nCristy swam a season high time of 51.12 seconds in the 100 free after an upset in the 50- meter freestyle.\n"I used to get really down when I started the meet slow," she said, "but I came back for the 100, which shows a lot of maturity on my part, I think."\nJunior Susan Woessner placed first in the 200-backstroke while freshman Sarah Fiden overcame a lost cap in the 1,000-meter freestyle to finish third. Fiden placed first in the 500-meter freestyle, and sophomore Megan Geers finished first in the 200-meter breaststroke. Junior Erin Quinn took first in both the 1- and 3-meter dives to give diving coach Jeff Huber another win.\nIn Saturday's meet, Northwestern head coach Jimmy Tierney faced little sister Dorsey Tierney in the closest meet the Hoosiers have seen this season.\nDorsey said she felt she could breath a sigh of relief after the 168.5-131.5 win over her brother.\n"He had a really great team," she said, "but I would love to beat him when it counts, at a Big Ten meet."\nTierney's brother said he was not surprised with IU's team.\n"It was about what I expected," he said. "I knew we would be undermanned, and they keep getting better and better. Dorsey and Jeff (Huber, diving coach) are a powerful team."\nDorsey listed a number of improvements that need to be made after watching the meet. One of these was Cristy, who Tierney said is "still not at 100 percent."\n"It's nice that she doesn't have to support the team as much anymore, though," she said. "She now has a great supporting cast."\nCristy finished second in her first two individual events but came back to win the 100-meter freestyle.\nFirst place finishers against the Wildcats included sophomore Tina Gretlund in the 200-meterfly, sophomore Jennifer Sonneborn in the 1- and 3-meter dives, and both relays were taken by IU. Junior Susan Woessner swam past Tashianna Bohm for a first place finish in the 100-meter backstroke, beating her by over a minute and a half, well over the 0.3 seconds she was beaten by last year at Northwestern. \nFiden led for 10 laps in the 1,000-meter freestyle before falling to Wildcat freshman Erica Rose. Fiden said it is necessary to get beyond such obstacles.\n"It's kinda' hard," she said. "You just have to get past that though and focus on the next event."\nFiden led the Hoosiers to triple finishes in the 500-meter freestyle with sophomore Jenny Bechem in second, and junior Erin Rice in third place. Fiden was excited about the accomplishment.\n"I think that was the best thing," she said. "We train together so it's a success for all of us."\nMen's swimming and diving\nThe men's swimming and diving team faced the Kentucky Wildcats Friday in a dual meet at the Counsilman/Billingsley Aquatic Center. The Hoosiers lost their third consecutive meet this season 150-92.\nHead coach Kris Kirchner said consistent speed is lacking on the team.\n"We may not win another meet until we decide we want to swim fast all the time," he said.\nSenior Will Bernhardt's 200-meter backstroke, junior Heath Montgomery's 200-meter Individual Medley and senior Tom Davidson's 1-meter dive produced the only three wins against the Wildcats.