Guru holds his own with guest singers on \'Jazzmataz Streetsoul\'

Usually when a CD is showered with guest vocalists on every single song, one must proceed with caution. It is a frequent sign that the singer cannot pull his or her own weight. However, Guru's Jazmatazz uses these guest vocalists efficiently, and his soulful style is not overshadowed.

Guru
Jazzmataz Streetsoul
Virgin Records

Guru's voice sounds very familiar. The rap style and inflection on Jazmatazz is reminiscent of Rakim's The Master. If you are not familiar, Rakim formerly teamed with DJ Eric B until 1992. One of the strongest singles is "Keep Your Worries," featuring Angie Stone. Together they fit and sound like a latter day version of Marvin Gaye and Tammi Terrell -- of course, only if Marvin rapped as well. The best track on the album is "Who's There?" featuring Les Nubians. Les Nubians hook is sung in French, and it is slow but beautiful. Meanwhile the beat kicks up the tune, making it both fast-paced and a soulful groove simultaneously. Other guest stars worth noting are Erykah Badu, De La Soul, Macy Gray, Isaac Hayes and The Roots. There are some problems, however, that even the high-profile artists can't hide. Some of the songs start to sound quite formulaic, as each song begins with the guest vocalist's refrain quickly followed by Guru's entrance. His rap style needs some develpoment, and he needs to take more of a risk with his vocal stylings. However, the majority of the album is innovative with its new type of beats and mix of different artists. It is also interesting to note that Guru has not chosen to use excessive profanity to spice up the album. It is refreshing to hear rap music with a more positive vibe. Lately music has become very boring. Top 40 has taken over with boy bands and pop princesses. But if you love well-written music and great vocalists, Guru's Jazmatazz is worth purchasing.