Freshman swimmer could be 'one of the best,' coach says

Fiden adjusts quickly to college matches, has positive outlook

Freshman Sarah Fiden is everything the women's swimming team could want in a squad member. Her coach and teammates agree Fiden's warm heart and hard work combine to make a competitive swimmer.\nCoach Dorsey Tierney said she believes that if Fiden continues to train extensively, she will have a bright future.\n"I think she can be the best distance swimmer to come out of IU and one of the best of the Big Ten," she said.\nFiden began swimming at the age of 6, when her older brother joined a team at the local YMCA in their home state of Ohio. Fiden said she continued to follow her brother's example and practiced diligently. They both swam for the YMCA club team through high school. Fiden's brother went on to swim for Ohio State for a year, until he returned home to swim for a community college. Fiden did not receive her place in the spotlight until recently.\n"I've been in his shadow," she said, "and now I've finally made my own name."\nAfter junior Susan Woessner had been competing at IU for two years, she suggested to the coaching staff that they take a look at a former YMCA teammate of hers who had made constant improvements while they were together on the team.\n"I told Dorsey and (assistant coach) Greg (Earhart) that there was this great girl on my team that would fit well at IU," Woessner said, "and they took it from there."\nWhile on the club team, Fiden was the mile champion at the YMCA nationals.\nWoessner said Fiden's past accomplishments and love of competition make her confident when she watches her race.\n"When she is in the water, I know that she is going to put her all into it, no matter what," she said.\nTierney said Fiden adjusted more quickly than most freshmen do to college athletics and that she has a distance swimmer's determination.\n"(Sarah) has the stereotypical distance mentality," Tierney said. "(It's like) 'tell me what I need to do and I'm ready to go.'"\nFiden's positive attitude makes Woessner enjoy being a part of her friend's team and athletic conquests.\n "She just really loves swimming and training and racing," Woessner said, "so it's fun to watch her be successful."\n Fiden said she hopes to take that success to the Big Ten and even NCAA championship this year. She says she will see where she goes from there. As far as long-term goals, she is looking to the 2004 Olympics. Tierney sees it as a definite possibility considering the convenient timing of Fiden's collegiate career.\n"She's just an all-around solid individual," she said. "She has a good heart, she's a great teammate and a great student. What more can you ask of a student athlete?"\nFiden is not anxious for the Olympics. While a Hoosier, she is using her time wisely and enjoying herself.\n"I'm having a great time"