Freshman guard shines on defense

NEW YORK -- Freshman guard Andre Owens scored 13 points combined in IU's first two games. In the third game, he came off the bench to lead the Hoosiers with 16 points.\nBut it wasn't his offensive explosion that impressed people in IU's 69-61 loss to Temple. It was his defense that raised a few eyebrows in the semi-final game of the National Invitation Tournament.\nAs if he wrote the textbook on man-to-man defense, Owens kept his knees bent, back straight, hands out and feet moving as he shadowed Temple's best player, junior guard Lynn Greer. \n"One of my strong points is defense, and I was trying to pressure Greer full court and every time he touched the ball," Owens said. "Coach (Mike) Davis kept telling me to 'Pressure. Pressure.'"\nAlthough Greer led all scorers with 20 points, Owens was quick to point out that he wasn't guarding Greer the entire game. But when Owens was, Greer noticed a difference and wasn't as effective as a point guard.\n"Owens made me tired," Greer said. "That's why a couple of times I had to give the ball to Quincy (Wadley) to bring it up because the other players on Indiana weren't pressuring." \nDavis went so far as to say several Hoosiers weren't guarding anybody during the Temple game. But he appreciated Owens' effort against the Owls in Madison Square Garden. \n"Andre works hard, the effort is there, but sometimes he doesn't pay attention to detail," Davis said. "But he's giving the effort, and I like that out of him."\nOne of Owens' mistakes came in the second half when he fired up an three-pointer that didn't touch the rim. \n"I feel like I played both good and bad," Owens said. "There were times when I made some mistakes. I just kept playing as hard as I could so we could win."\nIn IU's first two games, Owens played 13 minutes against Pepperdine and 18 minutes against South Alabama. During those games he didn't play as well as he did against Temple.\n"I feel like I haven't really had the chance to prove what I can do," Owens said. "I just do things to try and help the team. I was just trying to do everything it takes to win."\nOwens led the Hoosiers with 16 points against Temple, including four-of-nine from behind the three-point line. He also had four rebounds, two assists and a steal. Each of his personal fouls were called for hand-checking Greer. This performance earned Owens a start against Texas Friday. In that game he scored only three points in 21 minutes.\n"He showed me some immaturity as a player because in one game he scores 16 and in the next game his concentration went down," Davis said. "He'll be fine by the time the season is done."\nJunior guard Dane Fife was impressed with Owens' play against Temple, and Fife is trying to be a mentor for the freshman. \n"Andre came out and did a nice job on Greer," Fife said. "He's going to come out and work his tail off on the defensive end and knock down the open threes -- that's what he has to do. I'm trying to take him under my wing, but he's got a strong personality and he's stubborn, but I'm working on it."\nAnd Owens is working on defense.