Candidates focus on education

Contenders want technology centers at universities

Rep. David McIntosh (R-2nd) and Gov. Frank O'Bannon, the Republican and Democratic gubernatorial candidates, continue to focus on education while traveling the state frantically gathering last-minute votes. \nThe candidates say they agree education is necessary to train Hoosiers for jobs that will keep the state's economy growing. Candidates also expect improved education to attract others to work in Indiana without being afraid of sending their children to the state's schools. But they disagree on the status of Indiana's schools and how to improve them.\nThe McIntosh campaign accuses O'Bannon of being unsuccessful in educational reforms. Richard Martin, who does grassroots work for the campaign, highlighted Indiana's low scores on the SAT and advanced placement tests. O'Bannon said Indiana has ranked in the lower one-third in SAT scores.\n"We believe things could be better," Martin said. \nBut O'Bannon said SAT scores provide poor comparisons because less than 10 percent of the students take the test in states that perform best, but 60 percent of students in Indiana take the test. Other studies ranked Indiana in the top 20 in 1996 among states for reading and math, and the state's graduation rate is the highest in its history, O'Bannon said. \nThe O'Bannon campaign highlights two bills to improve standards in Indiana's schools and develop local plans for schools to meet these standards. SEA 235 chartered the Education Roundtable, which calls community leaders, teachers and state representatives to work with the governor to develop standards for education in Indiana. HEA 1750 offers incentives for schools to improve performance. \nThe state's new standards for teachers lead the country, according to the Indiana Professional Standards Board.\nMcIntosh plans to offer tax credits, increase wages and conduct teacher reviews to get better teachers in Indiana's schools. He also plans to increase performance-oriented feedback and to increase order in classrooms by protecting schools from frivolous lawsuits and giving teachers more control over their classrooms. McIntosh supports charter schools and believes the state -- not parents -- should pay for textbooks.\nThe candidates agree education affects jobs and Indiana's economy.\nBoth plan to build technology centers at universities like IU and to start a private sector of high-tech jobs. McIntosh said these jobs will keep graduates in Indiana and make the state's economy competitive with other states.\n"When we build the high-tech industry, our young people can decide, 'I can stay near home, live in Indiana … raise my family and also have a great career,'" McIntosh said.\nHis campaign said O'Bannon's work on education has not prepared students to work in these jobs and drives away other people who are afraid to send their children to Indiana's schools. \n"If we don't improve our education numbers, the employees aren't going to want to come here," Martin said. "With how fast the (national) economy is growing … we could really get left behind if things stay the way they are." \nO'Bannon disagrees with attacks that Indiana's education is failing and costing the state jobs. O'Bannon did support legislation to make $50 million available in the 21st Century Research and Technology Fund for businesses and universities to do research and foster high-wage, high-skill jobs.\nThe candidates have found common ground amid their disagreements on public schools, test scores, training for high-tech jobs and education's effects on Indiana's economy. Both support all-day kindergarten.