BET joins Viacom

BET Holdings, Inc. has been purchased by Viacom for $3 billion in stocks. The acquisition means that BET will become the sister network of MTV, MTV2, VH1 and The Box. It also means that BET is no longer under black ownership, although founder Robert Johnson will become a major shareholder at Viacom.\nStock analysts say the purchase is a good move for both companies, but it also stirs up some controversy in the black community. Some people are pleased to see black entrepreneurs finally being acknowledged by corporate America, while others complain that another media organization is no longer in the hands of African Americans. Johnson himself is under fire from reporters, including one from BET's newsroom. What everyone wants to know is -- is a white ownership going to affect BET's programming?\nIn the past few years, BET has really tried hard to reinvent itself each season to compete with other similar music-oriented networks. Gone are the days of Donnie Simpson, Sherry Carter and "Video Soul." The network now has "106 & Park: BET Top Live," its answer to MTV's "TRL." It also has "Hits from the Street," a variation of MTV's "The Tom Green Show."\nThere are a number of unique programs at BET that really define the network's identity. "Teen Summit," a forum for thinking teens to address a variety of important issues, remains one of the most important programs of the network. "Oh! Drama," a talk show with three chatty black actresses as hosts, is always smart and substantive while addressing some of the most controversial topics. "Cita's World," a video program led by a computer-animated VJ, really shows the innovation of the network.\nThe Viacom ownership of BET can mean a number of things. On the dark side, BET probably will become more like MTV. In other words, you'll probably see the same programs endlessly repeated on BET. And you probably won't be seeing high-minded but unpopular programs like the gospel-oriented "Lift Every Voice" remaining on the network for long. But on the bright side, BET viewers probably won't be seeing the endless informercials every Sunday.\nPerhaps the best thing for BET is the fact that it will no longer have to fight the system on its own for survival as it has done in the past 20 years. BET has now become part of the system that is Viacom. BET is the sister network of the CBS, one of the Big Three. Those who are fans of the network should be proud of the fact that BET has finally graduated from the minor league and it is now playing on the major league field. But, with luck, the network will remain faithful to those who have watched it grow.