Sunday, June 16

Angle retains title as Triple H interferes, attacks Austin

The Rock's attack on Angle has no bearing on main event

I am sure everyone was upset that there was no IDS last Wednesday. Along with TNN not being available in the residence halls and a two-week drought between columns, this one should be highly anticipated.\nThis week's Raw was in front of a sold-out crowd in Ames, Iowa, and things looked promising from the start. WWF champion Kurt Angle was the first to make it to the ring. After rambling about the ludicrous behavior in the WWF, he claimed he is more of a wrestler than an entertainer. Commissioner Mick Foley and Debra made their way to the ring to discuss how things have gotten out of hand lately.\nFoley then let Angle put the title up on Raw and set a number one contender match between The Rock and Rikishi. Angle has a title defense against an undisclosed opponent.\nAs a fan, you start to guess at whom he will face. With The Rock and Rikishi fighting, it seems to make Stone Cold Steve Austin the frontrunner because Triple H is not completely healthy.\nImmediately, I begin to imagine my own storyline. I saw Angle facing Austin for the title. In a well-fought match, there seems to be clear advantage in the beginning. Then, as Angle seems to have an advantage, Triple H comes to interfere. Before he can even get into the ring, Austin knocks him out cold. While not paying attention to Angle, Austin turns around and becomes victim of the Olympic Slam. As the referee counts, Austin kicks out, the ref\'s hand inches from the ground. Frustrated, Angle grabs a chair. In an attempt to knock Austin over the head with it, Angle receives a kick to the midsection and obtains a stunner. Austin then gets the pin to become the new champion. The crowd goes wild. Triple H regains consciousness and attacks Austin. \nThe Rock finds his way to the ring in what appears to be defense for Austin. After throwing Triple H out of the ring, The Rock and Austin are left alone in the ring. Austin, confused, decides to grab a couple beers. After catching a couple of cold ones from the crowd he turns around and is shocked by a Rock Bottom. The Rock then delivers the People's Elbow and the crowd is left confused. Why would The Rock do that to Austin? The answer is simple...it would have made my night.\nIn reality, Austin did face Angle. Austin did give Angle the stunner. But as he was going for the pin, Triple H came out of the crowd and interfered, attacking Austin from behind as he was going for the pin. This meant that Angle would retain the title and I would not witness the title change I was hoping for. The Rock did attack Angle before the match, but this had no bearing on the main event. It was merely payback from Angle interfering in the number one contender match between The Rock and Rikishi. \nWhich storyline would have been better? I would have to go with mine on this one.