Williams transcends pop music

In a year when pop music is dominating the American music industry and Brit band Radiohead has claimed the top spot on the Billboard charts, it is mind-boggling that Robbie Williams is not doing as well as he should be in this country. After all, he's got the best of both worlds -- the looks of a pop star and the substance of a serious rock star. While Williams continues to make headlines in other territories, the recent release of his latest album, Sing When You're Winning, made little splash in America.

Robbie Williams
Sing When You're Winning
Capitol Records

Williams is a pop star, and not only because he once belonged to the boy band Take That. Even on his latest album, traces of pop music are still fairly evident throughout. He does not have a defined genre, and the album offers a bit of everything. From glam and disco to trip-hop and rock, Williams basically puts whatever sounds good to him on the album. Those who enjoyed his 1999 American debut, The Ego Has Landed, will find this album somewhat familiar. While so many pop stars are trying to prove their seriousness as musicians by attempting to write their own music, they can't help but use the same clichés that have already been exhausted by many songwriters. What sets Williams apart from the rest is the fact that he has a personality and something to say. Sharp wit and self-conscious sarcasm are always consistent as Williams arrogantly mocks the entire world with his lyrics. Yet when he is belting out his world-weary misery and lost love, his songs are completely heartfelt. Boasting a gory music video and drug references in the lyrics, the album's first single, "Rock DJ," is just one example of how far Williams is attempting to push the envelope. At the same time, his genuine insights about expectations and relationships on "Singing for the Lonely" and "Road to Mandalay" are so perceptive and intimate that it's impossible for anyone to resist them. This is a great album, but don't expect it to show up on "Total Request Live" any time soon.