Swimmers race by Evansville

Men's and women's teams place first in 12 of 16 events

The men's and women's swimming teams were hosts to the Evansville Aces Saturday in their season openers. The Hoosiers proved their power as both teams placed in the top three of almost every race.\nAfter making improvements since last week's intra-squad scrimmage, IU demonstrated how its hard work and dedication were put to use. Men's head coach Kris Kirchner said the adjustments his team made were important to him.\n"That's very important to me as a coach that, as I train and provide guidance that I see the results," Kirchner said.\nThe men's team finished in first place in 12 of the 16 events against the Aces. Freshman Mike Payne placed first in the 50-yard freestyle as well as placing in three other races. Payne was proud of his accomplishments.\n"My times were really fast, and I'm excited about that," he said. \nPayne said he felt the team did a great job in their season opener.\nFacing Evansville for the first time, the women's team snagged first place finishes in 12 of 16 events. The meet featured more competition between the Hoosiers themselves than with their opponents. \nWomen's coach Dorsey Tierney said her team works in practice to prepare for the competition and for their success.\n"I think it shows when these (girls) push each other every day in workout," Tierney said.\nTierney said that her team will have to continue to work hard in order for them all to be individually successful.\nSenior Jennifer Cristy placed first in the 100 and 200 yard freestyle. But she sat out from her IU record-holding event, the 50 yard freestyle, because of an injury. \nThe diving teams dominated in the meet as well. \nDiving coach Jeff Huber was very impressed with senior Erin Quinn, who was red-shirted last year for medical reasons. Quinn finished second in the 1- and 3-meter springboard competitions.\n"I think Erin did a super job for just being back," Huber said. "I forgot how good a diver she is." \nFreshman Marc Carlton placed first in the 1- and 3-meter springboard competitions, while sophomores Jennifer Sonneborn and Mamie Goodson won the 1-meter and 3-meter competitions, respectively. \n"Goodson has really shown a lot of improvement in her hard work and (Sonneborn) looks a lot better. I think we look really good early in the season," he said.\nJunior Susan Woessner, who competed in the Olympic trials, earned first place finishes in the 100 yard backstroke and 50 yard freestyle. She helped her team place first in the 200 yard medley relay.