Student finds success as DJ

It's not often one comes across a college student with his own successful business. Sam Souhrada has been the operator for the Bloomington DJ Services, his own branch of Pole Vault Productions. Having begun the business simply for fun by doing several birthday parties, Souhrada has now built an up-and-coming business over the past five years.\n"I have always loved stereo equipment and music," said Souhrada, a sophomore, who began his business by word-of-mouth in 1995. \nSouhrada said the cost of building such a business totals $15,000, with equipment, a van, advertising, insurance, compact discs and a computer. The cost to maintain the service is $2,200 a year, said Souhrada, who owns more than 350 CDs and expensive high-tech equipment.\nBloomington DJ Services does five to eight events per month. The majority of business is from weddings during the summer, while parties at fraternity and sorority houses, as well as other student activities, create the most business during the academic year. The service caters to a variety of events such as bar mitzvahs, high school dances and birthday parties. \nColleen Stroetz, a Bloomington Parks and Recreation coordinator, has hired Souhrada several times for different youth events and dances. Stroetz heard of Souhrada through word-of-mouth and said Parks and Recreation often has group events focused on prevention against drugs and alcohol.\n"He's good about picking music that's right and tasteful and that encourages what we promote," Stroetz said, adding that she has already hired Souhrada for another event Oct. 21.\nFreshman Anne Gingerich and her friends hired Souhrada to DJ her high school graduation party this year. \n"I knew him from school, and it was a lot of fun," Gingerich said. "He played all the requested songs and gave me a really good deal."\nOn average, Souhrada earns $90 an hour for a typical three-hour gig. He offers a general plan of his equipment and services, but groups can order extra lights or speakers for an extra fee.\nAdvertisement is done through the yellow pages, fliers, T-shirts and business cards. In addition to his weekly gigs, Souhrada is normally busy answering phone calls, returning voice mails, sending faxes, printing contracts and answering e-mails. All these obligations are on top of maintaining a good GPA as a full-time student. \nSouhrada's employer, PV Productions, employs 10 other DJs in the area, while there are seven other business similar to PV. Souhrada often takes his service to Butler University, whose greek houses began hiring him after a recommendation. His farthest gig has been on the north side of Indianapolis, but Souhrada said he is willing to travel more to further the success of his business. \nSouhrada suggests any prospective DJ should begin by working with someone else, "They'll show you the ropes, get you started, show you what to buy. It took me five years to build the business I have now."\nSuch a successful money-making profession is rare for most 19-year-old students, but the main word Souhrada associates with his job is "fun," adding that the most requested song at parties and even weddings, is Sir-Mix-A-Lot's "Baby Got Back."\n"I just like sitting back and watching people enjoy music while getting paid two cents a second for something I love to do," Souhrada said.