Rock and roll all night

The summers are long and rather boring in Bloomington. Not too many people are around, and if you are not 21 or do not have a fake, your options are limited. The only way to survive is to be very creative and be willing to try new experiences. \nNot too many people throw keggers during the summer because they know not many people are going to show up. But I was crafty enough to find a few, and I was able to learn from them. \nWhat I learned in going to some of these parties is that live music adds a certain flavor to parties, and fraternities are not the only legitimate host for bands and musicians. \nTwo parties from the summer come to mind because they were binary opposites in terms of band style and themes that parties can follow. One showed that a good band could be the catalyst for an extremely good time and how a bad band can have the party's host running for cover. \nOne thing to remember when having a band over is if the band is related to one of the hosts and they are using the party as a practice session, be wary. Plus, there are differences between classic rock and classic metal, and unless you think Iron Maiden are demigods, you do not want a classic metal band.\nLesson learned: If you are going to have a band play at your place, go over the set with them. Find out what they are going to play. It's your party, and if they play music you don't like, then why go to the trouble of having a band?\nLegend has it that the School of Music's students are extremely talented musicians, and they are looking for every opportunity to prove themselves. So let's use them for a hedonistic benefit.\nOne of my close friends gave them an opportunity to play at his place, and as far as I remember, all who were involved had a good time. The host invited some graduate music students to play a jazz set at his apartment during the summer.\nTalentwise, these musicians far outrank any other bands. The party evolved from being just a party to being a private concert for all lucky enough to attend. The overall feeling was that of a 1920s speakeasy.\nMoral of the story: If you are tired of the college kegger party, invite some jazz musicians to play at your place. Have some close friends over, relax and enjoy the music.\nIf you have anything you want to tell me, my e-mail address is ychami@indiana.edu.\nFinally, let us all remember a good man that just passed, and I was lucky enough to know. Coach Pete, we love you and miss you.