New bill stifles free speech

Clinton should veto legislation

Not everyone has the highest opinion of the press. Reporters are often viewed as snoops, prying into things that aren't their business and spilling private secrets to the public, all in the name of "The People's Right to Know." \nStill, even the harshest critics of the press admit reporters need to be inquisitive so the public can remain informed. But Congress seems intent on squashing this inquisitiveness, having voted Thursday to expand criminal penalties for government employees who leak classified information. The bill, H.R. 4392, subjects government employees to up to three years in prison for willfully disclosing nearly any classified information. \nThe problem with H.R. 4392 is that it basically increases criminal penalties for leaking information to the press. Because something is deemed classified, it does not necessarily mean it concerns national security. Some government officials can deem any information they choose classified. \nIndeed, one of the primary concerns in this case is that the government might be encouraged to classify more information to keep it from the press. It would allow the government to prosecute anyone for sharing any information of which they do not approve. This would make it increasingly difficult for Americans to know what their elected officials are doing while in office. \nFor example, under this bill, those who blew the whistle on the CIA's support of the 1973 coup in Chile or Nixon's support of Pakistan in its 1971 war with India would have faced criminal prosecution for leaking classified information, according to The Associated Press.\nStill, government officials argue the new law would tighten national security.\nRep. Porter Goss, R-Fla., chairman of the House intelligence panel, told The Associated Press the bill would "protect the rights that all Americans hold dear. It is not as some will say an affront to the First Amendment."\nPerhaps it would be interesting to hear exactly what rights the House of Representatives and the Senate believe Americans hold dear. After all, if Americans don't value their right to know what the government is up to, what do they value? \nIt's already a felony to harm national security by leaking classified defense material. Contrary to popular belief, the press isn't out to sacrifice the country's safety simply to break the next big story. Instead, the press is there to keep the government from overstepping its bounds, as it is with this new bill. \nAt issue is how much the people trust the government. We know that not every government official is honest; do we really trust every state and national official to decide what information should be classified and what information is allowed to be released to the public? An elected official is not going to be concerned with preserving the people's right to know, he or she is going to be concerned with preserving his or her own best interests. \nWith President Bill Clinton expected to sign the bill, those in government who follow their consciences and speak out when those in power overstep their authority will be silenced for fear of spending three years in jail for simply doing their civic duties. With luck, Clinton can see the impact this will have on our country's freedom and veto this ill-conceived legislation.