Gore's current view decidedly liberal

Oh, how fun it must be, living in the Nader dream world.\nWhat, if anything, was Duncan Mitchel trying to claim in his column, "Gore more conservative than he shows" (Oct. 19)? What, that he can lie like Al Gore? His main point, that Gore was conservative in his days as a congressman from Tennessee, is valid. But Gore has so evolved, particularly regarding abortion, guns and tobacco, that those records are essentially moot. \nWould a pro-lifer support partial birth abortion? Would an NRA supporter endorse the most broad gun control laws in history? Would a tobacco booster shamelessly use the death of his sister from cancer to attack cigarette companies? To imply that he has a hidden agenda is preposterous, and to imply he is no friend to the environment? Read the Kyoto treaty that Gore signed, Mr. Mitchel. There has never been a more environment-friendly agreement.\nYes, Ronald Reagan did lie on several occasions when he implied that as an Army Signal Corps he was present at Nazi death camp liberations, but to say Gore's lies are simply exaggerations is ludicrous. On an endless number of occasions in his 24 years in politics, but especially in the last 10 months, the vice president has habitually lied about statistics, records and his attacks on opponents, namely Bill Bradley and George Bush.\nGore and Joseph Lieberman are no "Reagan Democrats." Nor are they New Democrats. They are running the most liberal campaign since Michael Dukakis in 1988 and one of the nastiest campaigns since Bush's father during the South Carolina primary of that same year. They are not bipartisan; they are divisive and shameless in their race and class warfare. On Nov. 7, voters should reject them.\nBrian Eagles\nFreshman