Gore, Bush have clear differences

While I certainly think third-party candidates are a good thing to have in any presidential election because they offer yet another alternative, it is dangerous for Ralph Nader and his supporters to say there are no significant differences between Al Gore and George W. Bush. \nIn Duncan Mitchel's article Oct. 19 ("Gore more conservative than he shows"), he calls into question Gore's support for a woman's right to choose. Gore has said he would only support the appointment of Supreme Court justices who agree to firmly uphold the Roe v. Wade decision. Bush, meanwhile, has said that among members of the current Supreme Court his views coincide most with those of Clarence Thomas, a staunch opponent of abortion rights. Mitchel also claims Gore's support for gay rights is merely talk. In his acceptance speech at the Democratic National Convention, Gore explicitly gave his support for both the Employment Non-Discrimination Act and the Hate Crimes Prevention Act. Bush said during his time as Texas governor that he would never appoint an openly gay person to any important position on his staff. \nThese are only two examples. Duncan, I applaud you for supporting Nader, but please do not attempt to say there are no significant differences between Gore and Bush, because we both know, as Nader himself likely does, that this is simply not true.\nWarren Margolies\nJunior