Golfers take team, individual titles at Legends

It could have been a long, depressing winter.\nAs the last tournament of the Hoosiers' fall season, the Legends Intercollegiate would decide whether the next five months would be spent celebrating their success or dwelling on missed opportunities. As it turns out, they won't have much time for the latter.\nIU recovered from a disappointing Xavier Invitational to blow away the competition at the Legends Golf Course. They took home their first win of the season and their first nonconference win since 1991. The six Hoosier representatives combined for a score of 840, seven strokes ahead of second place Ball State.\n"After Steve (Wheatcroft) won last week and we didn't really help him out with our scores, we just wanted to come out this week and have an entire team effort," sophomore Aldo Jordan said. Jordan led the tournament with a score of 207 (72-68-67) for his first collegiate win.\n"This was a dream come true," said Jordan, who was dunked into one of the course lakes by his teammates in celebration. "It is something I'll never forget."\nJordan's victory was fairly secure toward the end of the third round, as he was on pace for a career-low 65. But a little bad luck cost him a double bogie on the 18th hole.\n"It was 220 yards in and the wind was in my face," recalled the new champion. "I wasn't sure I could reach with my two iron so I took my three wood and choked down, but I hit behind the ball and shanked it in the water."\nThe rough finish almost forced Jordan into a playoff, as a 15-foot birdie putt was all that separated Jordan from the man who finished in second. It was a man Jordan knows well, his own teammate, senior Steve Wheatcroft.\n"It's been a couple of good weeks for me," Wheatcroft said. "I just wish I could have finished better, but I'm happy for the team."\nIt was a team effort that rewrote the record book, as the Hoosiers' score of 24 under par blew away the old tournament record of 13 under, previously held by Miami (Ohio). Despite Jordan's title, coach Mike Mayer pointed to Wheatcroft as the inspiration behind the huge turnaround.\n"I think that last week's win by Steve was really a big help for this team coming into the tournament," Mayer said. "When something like that happens, you really get it going and you feed off each other. Our scores were simply outstanding, and to have Aldo and Steven finish one-two was just great."\nAlso impressive was the play of freshman Ryan Cassidy, who tied for sixth overall in his first ever collegiate tournament with a score of 212.\n"I was a little nervous the first couple of holes yesterday (Monday)," said Cassidy. "I heard some of the scores coming in and I knew that I had better catch up or I would be last."\nJunior Rich Thomas also had a strong performance, finishing in a tie for 27th with scores of 67-73-77. Freshmen Mike Castleforte and John Oliver rounded posted scores of 218 and 229, respectively.\n"I have lots of respect for my teammates," Jordan said. "Especially Steve, who played so well. I'm happy for the team and I'm happy for myself."\nJordan can take his time celebrating, he'll have all winter for that.